The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Jukas
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pizza Stones, BGE vs Sur La Table vs Rest Supply?

So I've been looking for a pizza stone for my BGE. The official BGE one at the local authorized deal is a whopping $99.99. A generic "baking" stone for baking or pizzas is $40 at Sur La Table and a third generic 15" stone at the local restaurant supply shop for $16.

Having never owned a pizza stone before, is there any value to the more expensive BGE one, or should I just snag the cheapest appropriate sized stone for my egg?
Jukas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i've been quite happy with my red sky stone. specifically made for grills. others have cracked.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

Well if you have a place around there go with Cordierite Kiln Shelves there good to over 2100 degrees I have two for my bubbas there 5/8" thick.
Tfhey wont crack as easy take all the heat you can give it.
Heres one place to look but the shipping and handling doubles the price so see what you can find around there.
http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I would stay away from stones not designed for the grill. There are many folks who have had them crack or even explode when used in the grill.

http://nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

I'm very happy with my BGE stone and I have heard good things about the Red Sky stone. The suggestion of kiln shelves sounds interesting as well.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
VoodoChild
Full Fledged Farker

I too was looking for a "good Pizza stone " My wife when she was out picked up the 16.00 one not really knowing there are different ones.
When I opened it I thought it was gonna break one the first use ... I have had it for 2 years nows and it works good !1 .. When this one does break Ill look at the nicer ones ... But thought Id chime in on my expererience with a cheaper cost model.

[I]1-Weber 26.75 otg[/I]
[I]Nexgrill Gas[/I]
[I]Beefeater 3000s w/Cart -Gas[/I]
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
So I've been looking for a pizza stone for my BGE. The official BGE one at the local authorized deal is a whopping $99.99. A generic "baking" stone for baking or pizzas is $40 at Sur La Table and a third generic 15" stone at the local restaurant supply shop for $16.

Having never owned a pizza stone before, is there any value to the more expensive BGE one, or should I just snag the cheapest appropriate sized stone for my egg?
I have been using a slab of granite that is 4cm thick for years. I had a piece left over from a counter top install. I cut it to fit my oven and use the un-polished side for pizza. It has served me well for pizza, breads, and pastries too! Most granite shops have a scrap that they will cut and fit for you. Tell them what you want it for, mine is "Absolute Black" granite. Very hard and dense (like my head). All the ones I have purchase have cracked after only a couple of uses! Hope this helps!
Jed

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodoChild View Post
I too was looking for a "good Pizza stone " My wife when she was out picked up the 16.00 one not really knowing there are different ones.
When I opened it I thought it was gonna break one the first use ... I have had it for 2 years nows and it works good !1 .. When this one does break Ill look at the nicer ones ... But thought Id chime in on my expererience with a cheaper cost model.

Great set-up!

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Melt In The Sun
Got Wood.

I have a kiln shelf too...it is so far indestructible, and used it in my BSK for a year or two now. I also bought the half-round for direct/indirect grilling!
Melt In The Sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

I also bought a kiln shelf but have used it only a few times. I think it was $18 and is good for 2000+ degrees.

ooops!

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, in general, don't kiln shelves have insulating properties and are not meant to absorb and retain heat which is quite the opposite of what pizza stones do?

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
shirknwrk
Take a breath!

I ordered a !#" and a 16" stone from Ceramic Grill Store. Prices are reasonable but shipping is significant because of the weight. The smaller stone is my heat deflector and has survived 900° + cleaning burns.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
So I've been looking for a pizza stone for my BGE. The official BGE one at the local authorized deal is a whopping $99.99.
Yikes , I sell them for $52.99. Sounds a bit high to me. That being said, I've had a BGE baking stone for 5 years without a problem. I did start off with an inexpensive one, but it cracked in half after 2 uses.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

This company makes stones specifically for the grill.

Fribrament They seem to be reasonably priced.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I bought mine for $7.49 at Home Depot- a sandstone patio block! I had horrible luck with store bought pizza stones, all of them cracked just using in an oven! The sandstone is relatively flat, thick as hell, natural and really hold heat. Simply put, it kicks ass. You might have to cut it to size though to fit an egg as they're rectangular.

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
tish
Babbling Farker

I'm in the "buy once" camp. I researched stones for a year, and read consumer comments until my eyes were ready to fall out of my head. Repeated complaints of stones cracking. Some brands more than others, but I decided I'd rather pay a little more, and do this thing one time. Great reviews on Amazon, as well as some of the folks here. I've been very happy with the results.

Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
<'\__!
.// .\\ Puppy baby says 'piss on it and walk away!'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->