The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Noob
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

So 275-300F will get me all done with a juicy final result? No need to go low 200's?

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Bob in St. Louis
is One Chatty Farker

There's a lot of great advice on ths page. With the exception of the advice the grocery store put on the label. That's how you'd cook it if you wanted to slice it, not pull/shred it.

Enjoy the leftovers noob!!!!!

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
So 275-300F will get me all done with a juicy final result? No need to go low 200's?
either way, whatever your pit settles in at.

i have 1 WSM that likes low 200's, the other 275ish. butt comes out the same on either, just a bit different timing.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It's mostly preference and different ways to get same result. I think most can agree that 250 plus will get you there faster than low 200, and with better results.

Most cook in the zone, I have a stoker so I pick a temp and it stays on the money

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

I've done a total of 3 butts/picnics for pulling w/ great results. No mustard or oil. Simple homemade rub of whatever I have- the usual spices and a bit of brown sugar

I've cooked them ~265-300.

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Definitely. There are a ton of threads about this around here if you want to see some discussion about it. Just search for "hot and fast."

Also, here's my basic rub for pork butt:

3 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Noob

Starting my cook friday morning so washed, patted dry, let sit for a few min then rubbed all sides with a few drops of evoo and some yellow mustard. The rub was one i made up. Kosher Salt, fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic, minced onion, paprika and i think that was it.

It is currently in the fridge wrapped in cling wrap. Gonna start friday at 6am and if i finish too soon it will stay resting in a cooler, if i take too long, we'll have a later than normal dinner.

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't wait to see some butt pron

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good so far, I'm sure we will check back often if you need tips.

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
Noob

Instead of starting a new thread for "during the cook" questions, ill just put them on this thread. Everyone has been so amazing to offer assistance. I think the route i am going to take is 275° til IT reaches 195° and then ill probe for tenderness and wrap in foil/bath towel and put in my cooler from 60-90 min til dinner time.

Quick question, when i searched the forums for hot and fast, there were some comments about not probing until IT reached 205-210. Seemed high, what u guys think?

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

I just probe when its around the 195 mark. I think its easier to undercook the pork butt rather than over cook it. I would cook it at 275 or 300.
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
gigantor
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cooked my 1st butt this last super bowl. I was surprised it got to 155 degrees in ~5 hours. I was worried it would get to 195 too early but it stalled like I was told. After I wrapped w/ foil@ 160, it slowly but surely got up to temp. I saved some of the drippings, mixed w/ BBQ sauce...it was excellent.
gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

once I have my WSM settled in at 225 I go to bed and forget about it. When I get up in the morn. my temp is normally close to were I left it, but it has been as low as 180 or as high as 300. No worries just readjust the vents and go about my morning. I'd rather be done early than late, You can wrap and rest a long time

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantor View Post
Cooked my 1st butt this last super bowl. I was surprised it got to 155 degrees in ~5 hours. I was worried it would get to 195 too early but it stalled like I was told. After I wrapped w/ foil@ 160, it slowly but surely got up to temp. I saved some of the drippings, mixed w/ BBQ sauce...it was excellent.

So i CAN wrap in foil? Awesome. So new plan. Build bark up until 160F and the wrap in foil with probe until IT reaches 195+.

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do not wrap butts, never saw the point. If you must, then you must.

I happen to not probe pork, there are too many fat veins and pockets for that method to work reliably. I prefer to use the wiggle the bone method. If I am running the cook at 285F, I will wait until 6 hours have passed, or the internal thermometer (if you use one) reads around 185F to 190F, I will grab the bone, if it wiggles loosely, then I pull it. It is feels very tight, then I won't check again for two hours. If it wiggles a little, than I check in an hour.

Cooked at 300F for 7 hours, unwrapped, I happen to know it was 200F IT only because I was cooking on my BIL's cooker and he insisted I use temperature...this one was boneless...

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote