The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
JPS11
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I wonder if you could get the charcoal grill side of a Lang Hybrid smoker/grill setup to use gas?
JPS11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

As much as I love my Webers, you have one of the best builders of BBQ pits within driving distance. Klose BBQ Pits in Houston makes awesome pits -- and you wouldn't have to pay big for shipping, since you could pick your pit up.

Having said that, your rotisserie needs may be able to be et with a 22.5 Weber OTG and a Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit. That's what I use, and love it.

I also agree that getting one unit to do everything well may not be practical. Maybe a Klose smoker and a Weber Kettle with rotisserie kit.

CD

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Yellowhair42
Take a breath!

I was almost like you.Once I started here I began to crave non gas cooked food.After I got my Vision komado I never use my gasser anymore.With a komado you don't need a rotisserie.You could get a komado and if you don't like it you could sell it.

Unread 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
grantw
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 3

The weber wsm is a great smoker, and you would have enough left for a pellet grill. Or just a wsm and a performer. I have all three and for quick grilling the pellet is easy to use and start with no mess of charcoal. The performer with gas assist is easy to start as well and hardly any mess.

Unread 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I would not abandon gas entirely. I love having a gasser sitting next to my kettle that I can put on low and keep stuff warm as it comes off the grill. Or if you want to grill up some burgers quick, the gas grill can be ready in a couple minutes. Nor would I buy a shiny new one. There are probably lots of older ones that are still pretty solid on Craigslist. Here are a couple I recommend:

A two burner Silver A or three burner Silver B will do nicely. Check that grates, burners and flavorizers are in good shape or figure the replacement cost into purchase price (along with propane tank.) Incidentally, the Silver A was under $100 with the addition of a CI grate I already had and some stainless flavorizers I found on CL. The Silver B was free and came with SS grates and flavorizers.

As far as charcoal, the Weber 22.5 kettle will fill the bill for grilling. If you grill for lots, the 26 is a nice step up (but at about twice the price, it may be more economical to use two 22.5 kettles.) Again, there is a usually good selection on CL.

As for smokers, the grills above leave you with most of your budget for that. I'm very happy with my Smokey Mountains but there are lots of different styles that others can suggest based on your needs and desires.

And lastly, welcome to the Brethren!

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
tonytort
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks guys. Lots of great ideas. Not giving up on all in one yet but if I have to continue with two items the Egg sounds good but can you get real smoke flavor. Green mt grill would work but I an on Texas Gulf Coast and Hurricains do happen, kind of useless in week long power outages. Please keep suggestions coming.
tonytort is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Yellowhair42
Take a breath!

Any komado will give as much smoke flavor as you want.

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Buy a wood stick burner then installed a gas burner they cheap.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I think klose makes an offset that can also grill, but i read that these aren't as good at grilling as a kettle and would recommend just getting a regular smoker and one that does not double as a grill. Kamados and kettles are both good, and kettles can be got on CL for cheap.

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
TonyA

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/PR/index.php

So, I don't own one of these .. but I like their product in general. I will say compared to my egg and drum.. they use a lot of charcoal. If you look down the page at the PR60G - you'll notice it is gas - and i believe they make it so you can use either gas or charcoal.

In general, i'm with most of these guys .. I'd buy two units.. I have a Weber Summit 470 as well, and between that and the Egg I have two high end products I'm happy to own.
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker

For starters, I would purchase a ceramic grill / smoker / oven (Primo or Big Joe)
If you still want to rotisserie, I would suggest a Weber Performer with a rotisserie
attachment. I would also purchase a Guru controller for the extra long cooks.
Good luck,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Here you go.
http://beaumont.craigslist.org/for/3518723009.html

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
tonytort

I think step one is going to get kamato style either Kamato Joe Big Joe or Primo XL oval. Any suggestions? Guess I'll give up the rotisserie for now, maybe get a small gasser for quickies and rotisserie.
tonytort is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker

That is going to be a tough one for you to decide. They are both great. It is probably going to come down to customer support and features.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

I have been looking at this, I am thinking of building something like it, only smaller. I like the Santa Maria grill with the smoker, and I am sure you can get it with gas or even a smaller one like it.
Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=s1OWhY4HKcM

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page5/files/p5243168.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Smoker-A...70713342618%26
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote