喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Midnight Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-24-08
Location: Southern Arizona Desert
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
^ I understand the intake on a PBC isn't fixed. But it's not easy to change from what I've read. You have to run out to the garage and grab a tool to move it or something..
Jeez, I cannot help myself. It appears the nut to adjust gets really hot so adjustment is hard. Why not just modify the Intake to resolve this???
__________________







**************************
*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration




Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker
 
flyingbassman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-12
Location: Saint Louis MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Why, not trying to be a PITA, just trying to figure out the sudden love for the PBC, it seems to be no different than an UDS. What is all the excitement about/
Why use the UDS over tweaking the PBC to cook at a lower temp? ( I think that's what you are asking?? If not correct me)
The basic answer is because the UDS is a lot easier to control temp on. I just don't find a personal need to change the way my pit barrel runs. Can it be tweaked? Sure! But I don't see a need for me personally to mess with it.
__________________
18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, CB Silver(Rip), Vintage Coleman Bullet, Pit Barrel, UDS
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Midnight Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-24-08
Location: Southern Arizona Desert
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Why use the UDS over tweaking the PBC to cook at a lower temp? ( I think that's what you are asking?? If not correct me)
The basic answer is because the UDS is a lot easier to control temp on. I just don't find a personal need to change the way my pit barrel runs. Can it be tweaked? Sure! But I don't see a need for me personally to mess with it.
Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.
__________________







**************************
*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration




Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
BobBrisket
Moderator
 
BobBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-07
Location: El Paso, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Anyone figger out how big that intake hole is yet?
Is a 3.5" hole big enough for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.
Unless you try one, you will always have that "hard time" with it. If you decide not to buy one, then you must "let it go!" You will get answers both ways on the forum, but the only answer that will satisfy you is from experiencing it.....or not.
__________________
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker
 
flyingbassman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-12
Location: Saint Louis MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.
Your description of the difference is correct. All it is, is a 30gal UDS with rebar and hooks. The PBC or Pit Barrel Cooker part of it is just the brand name. Yeah sure its a little different than a UDS because of the preset intake, but bare bones wise they are "almost" the same.

With that said, can it be changed to behave differently and achieve lower temps? Yes but that requires tweaking. The marketing strategy behind the PBC was to be 100% set and forget with no tweaking needed...which is bad for most of us on here because we are so OCD about temps and cook times. The average consumer isn't. Hopefully that helps you out a bit.. :)
__________________
18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, CB Silver(Rip), Vintage Coleman Bullet, Pit Barrel, UDS
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-12-12
Location: Toronto
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Well to be fair the powder coating seems to make a difference in holding rock steady temps from what I gather.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker
 
flyingbassman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-12
Location: Saint Louis MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
Well to be fair the powder coating seems to make a difference in holding rock steady temps from what I gather.
I don't see how that would be any better than regular high heat paint. Powder coat isn't insulating it so the rock steady temps are more likely due to the smaller drum size and the gauge of the steel.
__________________
18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, CB Silver(Rip), Vintage Coleman Bullet, Pit Barrel, UDS
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-12-12
Location: Toronto
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
I don't see how that would be any better than regular high heat paint. Powder coat isn't insulating it so the rock steady temps are more likely due to the smaller drum size and the gauge of the steel.
There are many reasons why manufacturers choose to powder coat their products. These include making the products resistant to chipping and abrasion; providing resistance to chemicals and corrosion; providing a decorative, impact-resistant finish; adding electrical or thermal insulation; providing resistance to ultraviolet light; and adding sound-deadening properties.

http://www.jobshop.com/techinfo/pape...coating3.shtml
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #24
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 11-22-12
Location: Boston
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Why, not trying to be a PITA, just trying to figure out the sudden love for the PBC
Here are some reasons (I think):

1. Value: it is prob the most inexpensive finished-complete smoker/cooker/grilled (whatever you want to call it) @ $225 shipped) that you can buy today and turn out EXCELLENT food on Friday when it arrives to you.

2. simplicity: there is no learning curve.

3. zero set up - you open the box, and you're ready to cook.

4. value- the price of $225 really hooked me. It is cheap money for this cooker. Ive seen others post the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
, it seems to be no different than an UDS. /
Great observation & point, Both are a steel drum. Period. You can modify one to work like the other, not modify at all, or whatever else you prefer.

Actually, all of the controversy PBC vs UDS is what lead me to investigate the PBC and realize what a bargain it was at $225 shipped if I calculated the cost of parts for a UDS and paid myself my normal hourly wage to find the materials and build one.

But, ill continue to keep an eye out for a 15 gal stainless steel drum on the cheap & if I get lucky ill build a uds someday. Definitely interested in the uds.
__________________
Kamado Joe Big Joe -- Kamado Joe Classic -- WSM mini
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker
 
flyingbassman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-12
Location: Saint Louis MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
There are many reasons why manufacturers choose to powder coat their products. These include making the products resistant to chipping and abrasion; providing resistance to chemicals and corrosion; providing a decorative, impact-resistant finish; adding electrical or thermal insulation; providing resistance to ultraviolet light; and adding sound-deadening properties.

http://www.jobshop.com/techinfo/pape...coating3.shtml
Okay fair enough. I still don't think the powder coat truly insulates the entire cooker in the traditional sense. Could it help? Sure but I'll put more blue chips on it being mostly because of the smaller size of the drum. There is less air that the fire has to heat and can heat the air that is there faster and more evenly. Just my opinion.
__________________
18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, CB Silver(Rip), Vintage Coleman Bullet, Pit Barrel, UDS
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 03-29-11
Location: Beijing,China
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Here are some reasons (I think):

But, ill continue to keep an eye out for a 15 gal stainless steel drum on the cheap & if I get lucky ill build a uds someday. Definitely interested in the uds.
what is exact size of a 15 gal stainless steel drum, diameter and height?
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-12-12
Location: Toronto
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Okay fair enough. I still don't think the powder coat truly insulates the entire cooker in the traditional sense. Could it help? Sure but I'll put more blue chips on it being mostly because of the smaller size of the drum. There is less air that the fire has to heat and can heat the air that is there faster and more evenly. Just my opinion.
I would have a disclaimer and say its your opinion at the beginning of your post, lots of people reading your post will think you are stating that as fact. Its good to backup what you say with proof instead of opinion alone.

Fact: powder coating does provide thermal insulation.

Opinion: the smaller size and gauge of the steel provides the insulation.

Just curious, do you even know the actual gauge of the steel on the PBC to be even making that statement?
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

 
woodbutcher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-10
Location: Shelby Twp. Macomb Co. SE Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
what is exact size of a 15 gal stainless steel drum, diameter and height?

14 " diameter x 27 " high.
__________________
leonard
-----------------
22.5" Weber------OTS
18.5" Weber------OTS
14" Weber---- Smokey Joe
55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

 
caliking's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-13-10
Location: Houston, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.
Couldn't agree with you more. I don't get why there is a flurry of PBC threads either.

I guess it is a standardized cooker that appeals to folks who are unable to build a UDS for whatever reason? I find it hard to imagine that cost is one of those reasons though. A UDS can be built pretty cheaply, definitely less than $225, unless you are going for an SS drum or fancy graphics.

Folks who built a drum would probably find it easy enough to add some holes, rebar, and hooks to find out if the hanging meat really cooks differently from the usual lay-it-on-the-grate method.

Oh well, maybe I'll learn something new.
__________________
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #30
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Join Date: 09-07-10
Location: Chicago, IL - West burbs
Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default

Why do people love a wsm?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
__________________
-Ryan

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.