עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pellet Smoker ----

I have been looking real hard at the pellet smokers and I believe I would like one for comps and my catering.
The big issue I have is NO ONE around me sells the pellets around me.

around how many cooks can you all get out of a bag of pellets and would it be worth it in ordering pellets as I need them or do you think it would be to much of a pain in the butt?

Unread 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some brethren find other pellet users and bulk order a pallet at a time to split the cost of the pellets and the shipping.

If there's not a Cookshack or Traeger dealer around you might look at these guys:
Smokin Brothers http://www.smokinbrothers.com/locateaDealer.aspx looks like they have dealers around KY and offer pellets and accessories.

As always, YMMV!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
around how many cooks can you all get out of a bag of pellets and would it be worth it in ordering pellets as I need them or do you think it would be to much of a pain in the butt?
I think the answers to your questions really depend on what you get. I think a good range is 1-2 lb/hr, but 100% variance is pretty drastic. It depends on the capacity of the cooker, whether or not it's insulated, and the controller. Next, it really depends on what pellets you decide to get. Do you want pure smoke-wood or blended pellets? Do you want your cooker's brand or after-market? How CAN you get them? Personally, I buy them a few hundred lb at a time and store them, but that's just because I get a better price that way.

btw, where in Kentucky are you? I know of a place that's getting into cooking pellet sales with 100% oak, 100% hickory, and 50/50 blend. It might be close to you.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
EMTTLC
Knows what a fatty is.

No pellets around here either. If you are going to be using a large quantity of them, contact Candy Weaver, BBQers Delight. By the pallet they are pretty reasonable (20 bags). The cooker you choose will determine the usage. My FEC uses about half the pellets that my GMG uses. Insulated vs non-insulated.
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I use about 10 lbs in a typical competition in my FEC 100. It typically runs from 8pm on Friday night to 12:30pm on Saturday.

Of course, YMMV based on your cook temps.

Sunday, 8/10/2014 Brethren Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :)

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
jaestar
On the road to being a farker

I have the same usage as Ron with my FEC using BBQ Delight. I will probably order a pallet of them this year.
XL BGE
22.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM
22.5" Weber Kettle x2, Smokey Joe
500 Gallon UBS
Bradley Smoker
Super-fast Orange Thermapen
Sponsored by Simply Marvelous
jaestar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
btw, where in Kentucky are you? I know of a place that's getting into cooking pellet sales with 100% oak, 100% hickory, and 50/50 blend. It might be close to you.

dmp
I am located in Somerset Kentucky

Thanks for all the replies by all. I am really looking at the Yoder with a comp cart

Unread 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I've not used a Yoder specifically so can't give details, but I'm guessing they would consume similar quantities to my Beast, which is closer to 2lb/hour than 1. I go through about 32 lb per comp (18 hours), and I burn sticks for part of that too. Others here can provide some more details. It really depends on both the internal space and the surface area, so something smaller than their Stockton would burn less fuel. I had a conversation with them at The Jack this year, and in case you didn't know, they offer more pellet fired pits than what's on their website. I also got the impression that they'd be willing to add a pellet feed to just about any of their pits if you see something you like. I really wish they had been around when I was buying ;-)

The pellet place would be about a two hour drive for you each way. Probably not bad if you have a truck or trailer, and you don't mind making a day of it. They might even setup delivery for a pallet. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll get you some contact info.

dmp

Unread 01-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I probably use on average 5-10 pounds in my FEC and 15-20 pounds in my YS 640 per contest. That number for the Yoder can almost double in cold weather.

Talk to the Yoder guys they can probably give you a good deal on some shipped bulk pellets.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

2.5 lbs/hr @ 275 is what I see with the Yoder YS640. That's with Lumberjack pellets using U24 firmware. Haven't upgraded to U26 yet.
TheJackal is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

My Yoder ys640 is a pellet hog. I have a good local dealer so I go through them, but I'm pretty sure Big Poppa ships his for free if you order enough.

Unread 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I ordered 400lbs from Candy 2 years ago for my FEC100, and still have enough for this season. The previously cited 8lbs per cook sounds about right, but expect that to go up a lot on uninsulated smokers.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

I use 1 bag of GMG pellets split into 2 GMG smokers for comps. So 1 bag will get me about 20hrs at 250 degrees
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Something that I heard recently, and is worth considering, is that the average length of pellets (and to some extent, the diameter) affects how much burn time you get. I think I heard longer pellets tend to last longer than shorter ones. I would also suspect that the size of pellets may affect the smoke flavour. I've neither thought about nor tested that too much, but it's worth considering the brand of pellets may affect consumption by both wood type and pellet shape.

dmp

Unread 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

I'm ordering a YS640 in February and I just got a Ton of Lumberjack pellets that I split with three other guys. It was VERY reasonable. PM if you would like more info.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote