ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

You Know I go through this every year when my membership and/or a vote for BOD comes up. In the end I pay my membership.

I do not shop at RD (not one near me), I do not stay at the hotels (can get a better deal on the Internet).

Is the Bullsheet worth it, hard to say - can find a lot of the information on the Internet.

The BOD has been a disapointment for me. I voted last year on change - I have not seen much of that.

In the end I pay, because when friends of mine put on events - they get the support of the KCBS and the rules are clear, and when I compete it is at even as possible.

Just imagine what competition would be like without the rules we have in place - cook a backyard once and watch the mayor win (the same guy who ate 1/2 of a slab of your ribs saying how great they are).
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #32
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

If you don't like what an organization does either work to change it from within or don't be a part of the organization. No one is forcing anyone to join or stay joined. It's $35/year for Gods sake. If it's not worth it to you, move on an quit complaining about it.
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #33
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
If you don't like what an organization does either work to change it from within or don't be a part of the organization. No one is forcing anyone to join or stay joined. It's $35/year for Gods sake. If it's not worth it to you, move on an quit complaining about it.
I agree. Those people with their silly opinions should just keep them to themselves! How dare any one suggest that things aren't as good as they should be. We should all give money hand-over-fist so that they can give it away to some one else. Any one who disagrees with us doesn't deserve to have a voice. Cut their tongues out! Break their fingers so they can't talk! Find a way to keep them away from the rest of us!

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe some are tired of your rants over KCBS? We all know how you feel...most know you are suspended....

I get my $35 dollars worth. Im happy. Im going to the banquet and gonna have a blast.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
Cloudsmoker
Take a breath!

Downloads: 1

Here's a good example that agrees with your point. I once was a fairly serious tennis player. The United States Tennis Association covers the whole gamut - from recreational leagues to the U.S. Open. Gives the whole association a much different tenor.

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #36
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I don't feel I've ranted in this thread, but if expressing an opinion and clarifying facts counts as one, color me guilty. Most also know that I was punished for the actions of some one else. I'm glad you feel you get value out of your $35 Sterling. As I've said before, you're welcomed to ignore me. Why do you continue to read what I have to say if you're so tired of it?

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
Smokgineer
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I probably should slap my fingers off the keyboard! <<I hear you, Jorge...>>

KCBS gives back plenty. Ask the kids of KCBS members who applied for and received a grants in aid to help pay for their education. Ask the organizations who received grant money to further their missions, from a kids' group buying cookers to senior Q. Things like this aren't shouted from the rooftops and not near as interesting as slinging dirt around.

KCBS provides a framework for organizers to put together contests, officials to officiate the contests, trained judges who know the judging method and structure for the cooks competing. $35 a year gives you the Bullsheet every month that's less than $3 for each issue. I don't use any of the other member discounts, but I may sometime.
Candy,

I am happy to hear that you are comfortable with the membership where it is, but it disappoints me that KCBS would not work towards growing membership with the thousands, if not millions, of casual backyard BBQ enthusiasts. You say KCBS gives back plenty, but as a member I have never heard anything about any charitable giving aside from the Jan bullsheet where the grants in aid application was hiding between some ads. It is not my intention to attack or shame the KCBS, but the response that I have gotten not only from you but many others, affirms my suspicion that KCBS is not a the community orientated, education focused, and charitable organization it's mission statement spouts, and I expected it to be. So many others have already said what the true mission is of KCBS, it is not to teach, not to preserve, but to sanction BBQ competitions.

I however do take offense to those that seem to think that me asking these questions is some how wasteful of their time. "It is only $35 for God's sake..." I am sorry that I ask why things are the way they are, I am sorry that you don't have the patience or tolerance to answer and have a reasonable conversation. Candy, you are right when you say that KCBS is not perfect. Pappy, I only asked these questions as a fairly new member seeking to understand. You guys can all enjoy your little club...
Smokgineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

Look if its rehashing Harry Soo or diving into any KCBS site with the same venom...you are sadly predictable and yes I will ignore you.

I wonder who has the most ignores here?
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #39
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

If someone doesn't like something, leave it alone. I will say when you start getting flip with Candy or Sterling, you are clueless. Calling it a little club is foolish and childish also. As pointed out if you don't like things, make an effort to change them in the proper way. Not keyboard attention to yourselves. Don't like things move on. No big deal, just don't whine and not expect an earfull. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #40
Robert
Knows what a fatty is.

As sorta said above, no one is holding you at gun point to force you to re-new your membership. If you can't perceive a value in membership, then don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!!

Perhaps KCBS should restate their mission statement. Or perhaps not.

When I became a member in 1995, there were about 45 KCBS sanctioned cook-offs. There were a few state or regional societies that I remember, Gobs, PNWA and maybe NEBS. No bbq related TV shows. Where are we today? How many different bbq societies, TV shows and KCBS cook-offs are there presently? I'm sure we can hand some credit to MIM(MBN) IBCA, FFA, FBLA, VICA, DECA, etc, but I'm getting off track. I would say that most of the credit for the proliferation of this BBQ craze should go to KCBS. And along with that, as stated above, is a proliferation of BBQ products associated with this hobby, sport, sickness. And, along with all of that, a greater BBQ education for the masses. Heck, without this greater education, we might be left scratching our head and wondering what all the rave about Steve Raichlen's Beer Butt Chicken was about.

And as said above, the great success of KCBS, has had allowed them to be benevolent towards many different things. Youngster education, more backyard promotions, the Great BBQ tour they have is 3-5 five years old, Senior Que, and even giving to Scottie's Foundation.

So, if there is no perception of value, good luck spending your 35 bucks elsewhere. As a great man once told me, "you can lead a horse to water, but before you push him in, think about how bad a wet horse smells".

YMMV
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #41
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think, if you come to an open forum and complain about an organization to part of it's membership, you are subjected to it's membership's response be it negative or positive.