ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cooking/grilling fish

I came into an abundance of fish filets and have no real idea how to cook them. I have cooked fish in the past, but I really don't want to blacken everything.

Here is what I got to play with. Walleye fillets, grouper fillets, and tuna steaks. Plus a bag of raw shrimp.

I'm looking for new ideas. I really don't want to smoke the fish. I'm suppose to cook this all up for dinner this weekend and as of now I can only think of blackening the fish. What other ways can I cook these fish?

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Skewer, season, and grill the shrimp - ala shrimp on the barbie. Or, do a boil.

I use a cast iron griddle on my gasser to flat top grill a lot of fish. The flakier stuff will tear up on regular grates. Butter or oil on the cast iron and just a bit of seasoned salt for us. I cook hot to get a slight crust on the fish.

Tuna, salmon, mahi, all cook well just on the grill grates. Medium high heat. I season only with a little olive oil (or PAM) and season salt. We keep it real simple.

Good luck. Grilled seafood is great.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

The tuna is a fish that you can grill to a medium, if it gets overcooked it will get dry in a heartbeat. I like my tuna grilled after its rolled in sesame seeds and has a dipping sauce of sesame oil, soy sauce, finely chopped green onion, and a little bit of sugar to balance everything out.

The grouper fillets if they are thick enough should grill up easy as well. Pick a BBQ rub, or go with a mix of lemon pepper and garlic powder. Maybe a slight hint of old bay. Just enough to make you wonder what it is.

Walleye? Cant help you there never had it.

Shrimp? Skewer them and come up with a spicy sauce loaded with minced garlic. Like... A basic BBQ sauce with sriracha and a heap of garlic. Throw em on the grill after covering in the sauce.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Hankdad1
Take a breath!

Walleye is a flaky delicate white fish, light breading and pan fry.

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I love fish on GrillGrates. Panko breaded, asian style with oil, sesame oil, ginger... yum.

Shrimp and sausage kabobs are a big hit at my house. Beer batter shrimp for po boy sandwishes.

Been on a fish taco kick lately, too... with tuna, big taste.

Is it lunch yet?
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I am with Foxfire. The GrillGrates make fish easy and simple.

Husband, Father and well...that is the important stuff. (Not so super fast White Pocket Thermometer, WSM, Char-Griller Gasser with awesome Grillgrates)
basuraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
BBcue-Z
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I like to wrap fragile fish filets in re-hydrated cornhusks. They still get good grill flavor, but the husk protect them from direct fire. I brush the filets with a mixture of Mayo, lemon juice, garlic, minced green onions, parsley and spices prior to wrapping them. Since the mayo is mostly oil, it melts away leaving the fish moist and flavorful.

BBcue-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

You can do something close to blackening called bronzing. It is 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part blacken seasoning. Then you can pan sear it or grill it with the seasoning. It gives you the sweet/spicy profile. it works great with Tuna and Mahi.

You can also do things such as a lemon juice, butter, white wine sauce which goes well with most seafoods and simply grill or pan fry the fish and finish with the sauce.

Another technique which I love to do, is basting. Use some thyme, salt, pepper, and either butter or olive oil (your choice) and put in the pan with the fish. Tilt the pan so that the fish is towards the top of the pan and continuously spoon the oil/butter from the bottom of the pan onto the fish.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Scooter B
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Get a black iron skillet, get some butter just hot enough to not burn, and sear the tuna steaks to medium, with just a dash of salt, pepper, cayanne, garlic powder. You can do the same with the grouper if they are thick enough.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great advice all, and foil is great for protecting the juiciness too, in envelopes.
IMMAY's point about tuna is spot on, it dries out SO FAST!

My rule for tuna is I have to be assured of its freshness and quality, I put the oiled fish on super hot flip it 4 times and it is done.
Seared outer, that is all.
The common mistake is overcooking so be aware of that with all fish, they need to be juicy or they are not appetizing at all.

Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party!'
Robin Williams
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

I came across a few tuna fillets myself.

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

^^^ looks like that tuna has a pair of yellow sunglasses in its mouth. Were they attached to someone?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
^^^ looks like that tuna has a pair of yellow sunglasses in its mouth. Were they attached to someone?

Its a rope the deck hands tie on. They use it to help lift the tuna out of the fish holds. You can see them better here.

Jerry

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Absolutely positively do NOT overcook the tuna. It is not like anything else and will overcook easy. Use high heat and just sear, maybe 30 seconds per side. It should be red in the middle or it tastes like what you get in the can. Shrimp also overcook easily and turn to rubber. I usually do about 2 minutes per side. You want to remove just as they lose their translucence.

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Its a rope the deck hands tie on. They use it to help lift the tuna out of the fish holds. You can see them better here.

Jerry
That's a relief. From the first pic, I thought it might've gotten your wife.

Thanks from: --->