ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

37 pounds took me about 18 hours a couple weeks ago. i started them at 9:00 pm and wanted to cook them at 275-300, but i didn't get the egg that high before i went to bed and they rocked on at about 230 all night. i bumped it up to about 275 the next morning and it still took hella long fo finish.

not my longest cook though. i did about 40 pounds once and it took 20 hours.

thought my thermometers were off, but i test them all and they were close to spot on.

deepsouth is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
IamMadMan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStang83 View Post
I ask this because on Saturday morning at 0100 I put two picnics on my UDS at 275º. Each of them was about 10½lbs, and I left the skin on both of them. I took the one off at around 1700 (even though it was only about 180º Internal Temp) because my wife was becoming extemely impatient. It didn't probe like butter, but it wasn't terrible. It tasted pretty good, but could have been easier to pull.

The other one I left on until 1900 and it wasn't probing great, and the IT was only about 185º. I had to take it off though because my BIL needed to come over and pick it up. It probed and pulled better than the first. It was also more moist.

Both of them stayed really moist with the skin on, but I definitely wasn't prepared to be smoking these picnics for 18 hours.

So what say you? How long have you smoked a pork shoulder?

I always have the skin removed or remove it myself before prepping for the smoking / cooking process. The skin hinders smoke penetration in to meat.

I have cooked large shoulders for up to 22 hours. If your thermometer is accurate, an 11 pound shoulder without foiling should take 18 hours - plus a 4 hour rest when cooked at 235º ..... Keep in mind outside temperature, humidity, and your elevation all play part in the cooking variances from the normal time protocol. Internal temperature should be somewhere near 190º when removing from the cooker and bones will wiggle slightly with ease.
I prefer the bone test over probing, but use what works for you.

Unread 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
JonM106
Knows what a fatty is.

I had one that took 19 hours at 225. We ate at 9:00 p.m. Now I cook at 275.
JonM106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirporkalot View Post
bunch of dang whiny arses....

If you want fast food go get a mcrib.

I have cooked a 20lb shoulder for 24 hours at 210 and loved every minute of it.
I normally cook a 9-10 shoulder portion (either picnic or butt) for about 16 hours.

I figure 1.5 hrs per lb at~225.

And no thank you i don't want no damned hot & fast butt you found a way to cook in 4 hours (after you remove all the unrendered fat, you probably did find some edible meat)
amen!!!!! Brother!!!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I'd check your thermo, something seems really off. If the cooking temp at grate level was truly 275, you should of ended up with a couple of hockey pucks after 16 hours.

Longest I've ever done picnics is 13 hours for 7.5 lb'ers. It's usually closer to 10 hours at 275 ish. Less If I bump up the heat to 300.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
Smokey Mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quite a few times Ive taken butts out to 16 hours. Mostly only when Ive got two on.
Normaly its around 12 hrs
Ive taken a few beef rumps out to 24 hrs but I ment to do that.
Im talking cooking at 150F with a pre sear for colour.
Smokey Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I just google "alt characters" whenever I need a symbol like that or the "½". Lots of cool, useful symbols there!
Some sites just give you just the numbers to push, but when you do it make sure you are are pressing the "alt" button as well.
if you're using windows, pull up the character map (start menu-->accessories-->system tools) it will show you the keyboard shortcuts for those things
fantomlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

I have two boneless butts going right now. Just took the first one off at 12.5 hours, it was 8.5lbs at 225 on the Traeger 075. The second one is still going. The right side of the 075 runs hotter of course. Second one has been on for 13.5 hours. Then again, I let them do their thing and don't temp to finish but probe for butter.

Unread 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
Desert Hawg
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
if you're using windows, pull up the character map (start menu-->accessories-->system tools) it will show you the keyboard shortcuts for those things
Wlll have to figure it out even further. Got Windows 8 and it ain't the same. Get lost faster than a child in a toy store.

Desert Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #25
Bludawg

Way back when Before my brains came in I used to cook L&S at 225 my personal record was 20 hrs. Fast Forward to 2000 I got smartened up. The last Butt I cooked was right at 9 LB done at 300 in the UDS the bone was falling out at 6 hrs. Come to the Dark Side SuperStang83.

Unread 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

The longest I've ever smoked a pork shoulder is about 5.5 or 6 hours.....but I do them hot and fast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
I just moved the short cut to my desktop for easy access. Thanks.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Way back when Before my brains came in I used to cook L&S at 225 my personal record was 20 hrs. Fast Forward to 2000 I got smartened up. The last Butt I cooked was right at 9 LB done at 300 in the UDS the bone was falling out at 6 hrs. Come to the Dark Side SuperStang83.
+1 Amen!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
Harbormaster

I had a couple of butts take 23 hours on my little offset.

It happens sometimes.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
An eight pounder went 12 hours q'ing low and slow.

Question for you. In your OP, how did you get the degree symbol with your temps.
Quote:
I just google "alt characters" whenever I need a symbol like that or the "½". Lots of cool, useful symbols there!
Some sites just give you just the numbers to push, but when you do it make sure you are are pressing the "alt" button as well.
Another way to do it is use the Character Map 275°