喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-26-2005, 07:43 AM   #16
nucleargeek
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Great discussion on brisket yet AGAIN!!! I'm a fellow Texan too Judge, and would never even consider injecting a brisket. But, to each his own. There's a Texas way to do brisket, and then there's the wrong way!! JK fellas!
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them outta meat!
nucleargeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #17
queball
On the road to being a farker

Default Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I've tried to inject brisket but it comes squirting out all over the place!
I wrap the brisket in plastic wrap and then inject. This kind of traps the marinade that escapes. I then place the whole thing in a large zip lock
queball is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 09:27 AM   #18
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

I used to use that Dr Pepper marinade religiously. I suppose that 'close' to injecting. No more though - I just dry rub and let 'er rip.

Unread 07-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #19
frognot
Babbling Farker

What have y'all injectin' folks been injectin' in that brrisket that y'all like best?

Retired: NB Bandera (2003-2009) that introduced me to y'all crazy farkers

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it."
deguerre

Thanks to N8man & NorthwestBBQ for the custom avatars!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

The injection that is being used by many out there now days is more than a flavor thing. When the animal is slaughtered and goes into rigor it takes the natural phosphates out of the meat. Fab B replaces those phosphates lost in rigor meaning you increase moisture retension and yield. You will find that shrinkage is much less. This product does have a flavor factor also, it was a factor in the reason for DrBBQ's win in TX on Chris Lilly's show. I talked with Ed Roith and he made it clear that Doc's brisket had much more beef flavor than the other two briskets.

There are a number of Tx cooks I have met that are cooking brisket in high heat short cooks, Johnny Trigg and James Rice are two examples of cooks that use these techniques and win on a regular basis.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #21
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

I used to try to inject brisket (or any beef product for that matter) and had little luck. Like others, the meat is too dense (in my opinion) and most, if not all, of the marinade will come out imeadiatly. And if any did stay in the meat would leak out shortly after cooking. Poultry of course is fine to inject and pork is so-so. I guess it`s just the density. If any of these meats were cooked properly, injecting really is not needed. JMO.

Now, has anyone used a solid injector? Injecting herbs, garlic, etc,............ Any good? Been wanting one for quite a while, just never seen one in the stores.

- Char-Broil / Bandera Smoker & Al`s Basket
- Lynx / 27" Freestanding Grill & Sideburner
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #22
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot
What have y'all injectin' folks been injectin' in that brrisket that y'all like best?
Jim Minion's post gives an excellent answer for that question.

In addition:
I (we) have been using FAB B with Beef Broth for the liquid portion.
Full, rich, natural beef tasting results.
David has some new thoughts that we will be using in the future, but this works fine for now.
A lot of folks use their rub (if it does not have large spice peices in it) cut with broth, water, AJ, Fruit Juices, Carbonated Juices, etc, etc.

FAB P works fine also for pork. All of the above variations are also used with success on pork.

Lots of ways to either enhance or modify the flavor as you desire.
Also adding lots of moisture where it does the most good.

Just some thoughts!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #23
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

i didnt care for the Fab B at all. IMO, it changed the flavor of the beef. That may be a good thing to some, but it was just to intense for me. ( Jim, I know. Play for the judges, not myself). i tried injecting a few times with other stuff... jsut didnt seem to make such a difference. Hit the brisket right and take it off on time and it wont be dry.

****Added on edit*****.. i spent the weekend with dave klose a few weeks back. We went to a local butcher and got a prime rib. The beef down there had a totally different flavor from what i get up here.. The only way I can describe it is "beefier". I didnt care for it to much becase it was a little to intense.. this was the same reaction I had to Fab B when i injected it.. now, that may be what alot of people(or judges) like. But what im accoustomed to in the north seems to be different from other places.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #24
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

<standing>Hi... I'm Ron

<everyone> Hi Ron!

I'm from Illinois and I inject my Brisket!

<everyone> hushed gasps

It all started a couple of weeks ago when I read a post on "another discussion forum"

<everyone> more hushed gasps

The poster suggested injecting a mixture of beef broth, rub and garlic into a brisket, and I tried it. The resulting brisket was the best I had ever made. Moist, juicy, tender. I've using this mixture two more times with similar results.

What i have been doing is adding a couple of tablespoons of beef rub and two smashed garlic cloves to one can of salt free beef broth. I bring it to a simmer, turn off the heat and let it sit for 30 mins. then I strain and and cool it before injecting.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #25
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jim - what do you think of pure beef base found at grocers and in spice catalogs? Does this compare to Fab-B? Would it make a good injection product?

Unread 07-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #26
Quigley
Got Wood.

ok, call me dense, I still don't understand how you don't get pockets of injection and needle marks. I once injected a turkey with Cajun injection and when I cut into the breast I would cut into pockets filled with spice and herbs. So you say this doesn't happen. I will be trying this out this weekend I quess.
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #27
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

I think you can get pockets of more marinade than others. When injecting however, it is good to pierce the flesh in one spot, and spearing the area in several times thru that one spot before moving on to another area to eliminate many holes in the bird. The thigh can be done with 1 hole. Breast 1 or 2. Etc. Then just hope you got it so it don`t all leak out.

Beef? That`s a b*tch.

- Char-Broil / Bandera Smoker & Al`s Basket
- Lynx / 27" Freestanding Grill & Sideburner
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #28
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley
ok, call me dense, I still don't understand how you don't get pockets of injection and needle marks. I once injected a turkey with Cajun injection and when I cut into the breast I would cut into pockets filled with spice and herbs. So you say this doesn't happen. I will be trying this out this weekend I quess.
Guys, it's all about using the right tool and the right technique. Number one on technique is pump it UP - don't skimp. Also, don't use worchestershire, cherry (or any red juice)juice, dark seasonings, etc. These will stain the meat. Don't worry about leakage - but don't blow it out either.

For brisket - inject ALONG the grain (or with the grain) - NOT across it. Really fill up the point and the area under the point where the flat slides up under there.

Then comes tools - the 2 and 4 ounce models are ok but for brisket, butts, turkeys, etc. try this bad boy in the picture. Works like a charm. It'll pump a brisket up like a football and pork butts look like regulation basketballs. It's available from Allied Kenco at www.alliedkenco.com

Now, your mileage may vary - me, I'll inject and see if I can't walk the stage a few times over the next few months.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #29
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
****Added on edit*****.. i spent the weekend with dave klose a few weeks back. We went to a local butcher and got a prime rib. The beef down there had a totally different flavor from what i get up here.. The only way I can describe it is "beefier". I didnt care for it to much becase it was a little to intense.. this was the same reaction I had to Fab B when i injected it.. now, that may be what alot of people(or judges) like. But what im accoustomed to in the north seems to be different from other places.
Ya hit on something here Phil. I read a while back it has to do with how meat is transported thru the US. Apparently the beef in TX, OK, and some of the other southwest states all goes thru oklahoma at some point where the feed changes. I'll see if I can find the article, but that would explain the difference in taste between a TX brisket and a NY brisket.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #30
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Quote:
Ya hit on something here Phil. I read a while back it has to do with how meat is transported thru the US. Apparently the beef in TX, OK, and some of the other southwest states all goes thru oklahoma at some point where the feed changes. I'll see if I can find the article, but that would explain the difference in taste between a TX brisket and a NY brisket.
When I traveled the country for GE, the best beef I ate was in states where cattle mostly ate corn. It is not so here, beef is tough here because they eat mostly brown weeds.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote