עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #31
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Spocewine all day long! Love the Black and Gold.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #32
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
If you don't mind sweet there's always Blues Hog. It is really sweet though. I usually use it with some habanero hot sauce (either Melinda's or one of many jamaican varieties) blended in for some additional heat.
I bought some Blues Hog for a Memorial Day party.Its pretty much a glaze not a sauce,And out of the bottle its way to sweet but actually with a decent rub on RIBS!!!Its the perfect mix of sweet and salt.I got nothing but great reviews!!!

And me personally,I say dont even taste it out the bottle (cuz its SWEET) just drizzle it on ribs or chicken wings and call it a day.
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #33
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah. I tend to use it more as a glaze than an actual sauce I guess. I didn't think about that since I prefer things to just have a nice light glaze anyway. Shows off the meat & rub flavors more. Over-sauce things and it's like eating a bunch of sauce with texture. . .

Unread 06-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #34
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Tracy with BBQPHX.com has some amazing sauce. Perfectly balanced.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, it's just a great sauce. So good that I had to order 12 bottles.

We're using it straight out of the bottle for pork and thinning it with AJ for a chicken glaze.

Unread 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
Valeres
Found some matches.

Kind of hard to find these, Ive tasted alot of commercial sauces and these are the most unique:

BBQ Petes Puyallup Fair sauce, Kent, WA
John E Burns Bold, Temecula CA

Other than that I usually make my own sauce, I dont use ketchup as a base and I will add ingredients like Hoisin sauce and agave nectar and overripe bananas if im looking for something unique.
Valeres is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #36
BONESDILLIGAF
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am new here, I have read quite a few of the threads.... but I am rather disappointed to see how many of you use pre-made sauces. Now I am not in your kitchens, so I have no real idea why... is it more of a time constraint thing? Or is it that you have never taken the leap to experiment with making your own? I BBQ and Grill a lot, and financially it is much cheaper to make my own sauces and rubs, and quite frankly it is much easier to adjust flavors for differing uses.. ie honey base / molasses base / brown sugar / vinegar / pepper
the other advantage is of course making the sauce with the rub you are using, and enhancing the rubs flavor with the sauce instead of competing flavor profiles.

anyway, I was just wondering why the large amount of pre-made sauce use.
thanks

~BONES~
BONESDILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #37
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy T View Post
Lately my favorite commercial sauce has been the Budweiser sauce... Dont like their beer but the sauce is pretty good
+1. On the bud sauce, I picked up a bottle of the reg and the honey one, hooked on it, hidden gem
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #38
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

I like Moe Prichett's, bottled in Kalamazoo, Mi. Sells for around $5.00 at Sam's Clubs in Michigan.

Unread 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #39
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESDILLIGAF View Post
I am new here, I have read quite a few of the threads.... but I am rather disappointed to see how many of you use pre-made sauces. Now I am not in your kitchens, so I have no real idea why... is it more of a time constraint thing? Or is it that you have never taken the leap to experiment with making your own? I BBQ and Grill a lot, and financially it is much cheaper to make my own sauces and rubs, and quite frankly it is much easier to adjust flavors for differing uses.. ie honey base / molasses base / brown sugar / vinegar / pepper
the other advantage is of course making the sauce with the rub you are using, and enhancing the rubs flavor with the sauce instead of competing flavor profiles.

thanks

~BONES~
I started out making my own rubs & sauces.. Several years and many recipes and testing. A lot from Paul Kirk's books... A few excellent, Most good, some OK and some blah...

Then I learned about Bill Arnold Blues Hog sauce line... Quickly realized I can never make a sweet sauce (original) or a vinegar sauce (Tennesee Red) as good as that.. and it's even harder if you mix the two.

Still, I like to try other unique sauces & rubs out there...and once in a blue moon I'll make a little homemade stuff but it's been a while.

Unread 06-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #40
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatinc View Post
Try Drapers - excellent!

http://www.drapersbbq.com/
I second this. Drapers is good stuff!
Bubba-Keg
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #41
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
If you don't mind sweet there's always Blues Hog. It is really sweet though. I usually use it with some habanero hot sauce (either Melinda's or one of many jamaican varieties) blended in for some additional heat.
Brother! Don't hear many people talk about Melinda's!!!! I LOVE MELINDA'S!!!!! My favorite is Scotch Bonnett!!!! I eat it on everything!! Even Ice cream!

Not to hi-jack..sorry I got excitted thinking about Melinda's at work. I love a sauce in stores here called Mississippi sweet and spicy. I don't use it all the time but it sounds like your taste...sweet with a little bite. It has a steamboat on the front of the bottle if you google it.
NOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #42
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Just found the link....here ya go! I love it.http://www.mississippibbq.com/Products.html
NOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #43
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESDILLIGAF View Post

thanks

~BONES~
I can't count the number of people that have said to me "I make my own sauce and I think it's the best." and the shock on their faces when I respond with "That's awesome! You should like the sauce that YOU make yourself the best." The next thing that is always asked is "Well, if that's the case, then why should I buy yours?" My response? "The best sauce anyone can have is the one they make themselves. It's precisely tuned to a persons flavor profiles, tastes, and likes. But, there are those times when you go to reach for a bottle of your perfect homebrewed sauce and find you don't quite have enough to do what you want to do or even worse, you get sprung upon to cook something and you haven't had enough time to make your special sauce. What you need in those cases is a good backup. Something that you know you can go to in a pinch that has been hand crafted and had just as much care and love go into the making of it as you put into yours. Think of my sauces not trying to outshine yours but, as a good backup that is going to be there when you need it."

Of course, if someone always wants to use a back up as their main go-to, I won't hold it against them.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA, 22.5 OTG, mUDS, 2 UDS w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast , & the new White Shadow

Inventor of: 3BGB! , Shigen! , & Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae!
Big Butz BBQ Products
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #44
RevZiLLa
is One Chatty Farker

As long as it doesn't contain liquid smoke, I don't mind a convenient sauce. The meat is already on the smoker, so why should I pour fake smoke flavor over the real thing? If you need added smoke flavor, I find that smoked paprika is not fake tasting.

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #45
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you want a well rounded stock of BBQ sauce, you have to have some Scott's Eastern North Carolina sauce on hand.