Seasoning the Yoder Cheyenne

enricocoron

Reaction score
Seasoning the new Yoder offset, the Cheyenne, their intro level grill. Coated with Peanut oil and lit a column of mesquite coal, the 3 inch diameter 8-12 inch oak splits were great, tossed a few almond and mesquite pieces on to see how they caught.

The Q: good build, tight, a few leaks but expect it's about the best a good craftsman can get it. Well designed and you can see a lot of thought has gotten it there.

Temps: the ol' 20 minutes of coal, 2 sticks on that, ready to cook in 45 seemed about right, if not quicker, it crept through 250 at 40 minutes but the meat would have been a heat sink and kept it like 225-240. It boosted up to 325 with a few extra logs and poking, and maxed around 350 on the indirect side.

There was quite a bit of noticeable difference in heat feeling by hand from firebox to chimney side but probably even worse without the heat management plate.

Overall stoked and I'll hopefully have a first cook thread on Friday.

Attachments

• yoderseasoning.jpg
    yoderseasoning.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 134
That is a great looking smoker.

I have an old Oklahoma Joe and I had an expanded metal grate made to fit under my cooking racks just in case I needed a large charcoal grill. I had a bad temp swing as well on mine but I found a heavy duty 11x14 I believe cookie pan. Just so happens it fits perfectly on the charcoal rack about 6 inches from the firebox end and leans over and covers the firebox opening. Made a perfect heat diffuser and dropped my temp differences from 75 degrees to closer to 25 degrees. This pic shows the charcoal grate and you can see the color difference on the right side where the pan sits and leans against the firebox wall covering the opening.

Last edited:
Nice lookin smoker you got there. I'm sure there is a lot of good Q gettin ready to come off of there in the very near future.

Back