Best everyday backyard charcoal cooker.........Other than a Weber.

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
:shock:

Relax, I have nothing against Weber and in fact, I have several in my collection.

However my go-to, everyday grill is my 5 year old Weber Performer, and it is time for an upgrade. (Old performer will get moved to rotation)

I've been eyeing the new copper deluxe performer with the removable grill insets.

However I mentioned this to my wife, and she says: "You don't want something nicer or bigger than what you already have?

:idea: :grin: :clap2:

Well since she brought it up, I must ask you, the experts.

What say you?

Outside of the Performer, what is worth the $$$ and could take a prominent place in your nightly backyard family cooks.

Charcoal/lump fueled ideas only! :heh:

I can't sing enough praises for my Vision Kamado and small BGE, or any quality Kamado for that matter.

I was very skeptical of the claims I had heard for years about Kamados producing moister meats, but after 3 ribs cooks, I was not only a solid convert, I sold my WSM and never looked back.

I love my weber but if Ive always wanted to try an egg or similar.

Or just get the ranch:becky:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-60020-Ranch-Charcoal-Kettle/dp/B00004U9LN"]Amazon.com : Weber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettle Grill : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41n%2B27LwBkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41n%2B27LwBkL[/ame]

I know you said lump/charcoal only, but already having webers, I find a Green Mountain pellet fits into the rotstion nicely.

Ok, back to your question, a Kamando has my interest too!

I'm kinda in the same position. Been on kettles for years, but I'm not happy with the quality on the 22.5 I bought last year to replace one that was 10+ years old and want to try something different. I'm waiting on Portable Kitchen to release a larger grill and I'll probably buy one. American made, cast aluminum.

The ones that jumped to mind were covered -- move up to a 26" or try an "Egg" like option. The idea of getting something for the weber is good too though -- could add a traditional rotisserie or try something like this

[ame]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shakenblakecarson/carson-rockin-rodizio-brazilian-bbq-conversion-kit?ref=nav_search[/ame]

Though with two days to go I'm thinking it isn't getting funded.

Consider the Chargriller Akorn kamado. I like it so much more than my Old Kettle Q. The Akorn is about the same grill size and shape as a Weber but has many upgrades like a hinged lid, Cast iron grates, a much stronger build, a large usable bottom shelf, heavy duty wheels, a decent temp guage, side tables, and,, it's insulated too. If Weber made it, it would cost over $600 but the Akorn is only $300. A great value for a great BBQ grill/smoker.

Depends but a kamado is a great option. I like my vision grills kamado series m but the gaskets made of felt don't last long so upgrade them after the originals burn up. I am getting nomex in a few days for mine. I suggest getting a kamado that you can get accessories for easier than the vision grills series m. Good smoker and grill but some quality issues make me want a big green egg or a kamado joe.

Consider the Chargriller Akorn kamado. I like it so much more than my Old Kettle Q. The Akorn is about the same grill size and shape as a Weber but has many upgrades like a hinged lid, Cast iron grates, a much stronger build, a large usable bottom shelf, heavy duty wheels, a decent temp guage, side tables, and,, it's insulated too. If Weber made it, it would cost over $600 but the Akorn is only $300. A great value for a great BBQ grill/smoker.

^^^^^X2
I've been a Weber man all my life, but since I bought my Akorn 3 years ago the only time I use a Weber is at the cabin. Smoke at 225 or take it up to 600-700. Plus I feel safe using it on my composite deck, I would never do that with a Weber charcoal grill.

Thanks for all the replies.
The ceramic option is one I'm considering, but not a big fan of the weight/grill size that goes with them.

A ranch kettle of even a 26.75 kettle is not the answer either. Even though, if they had a 26.75 performer, I might consider that route...

Back