Weekend Cook

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Okay once again it is my time to spend a weekend here at work. With the high heat that has been going on lately I will be firing up the gasser when I get home, but no time for low and slow. Question, What will the Brethren be placing on the grates this weekend?

Two thick Loin Strip steaks on the gasser for dinner tonight, this will be the last I cook for 10 days. The wife and I are leaving in the morning for a 10 day motorcycle ride up into Western North Carolina. Road food all the way.

qman

Stuffed pork chops grilled tonight. Grilling steak tomorrow night. and probably grilling fish on Sunday. Just out of time mod.

Last night it was T-Bones, with Mike G's homemade marinade sauce brushed on while grilling, delicious. Tonight I'll be tossing a 14# brisket on the 'dera along with a 2# fatty. The brisket is soaking in TK's DP marinade along with a 3# corned beef brisket. The corned beef brisket will go on tomorrow morning and then later in the afternoon I'll toss on a couple of yard birds.

Re: RE: Weekend Cook

Neil said:
The corned beef brisket will go on tomorrow morning and then later in the afternoon I'll toss on a couple of yard birds.

Aways wondered what a smoked corned beef brisket would turn out like? Is the clash of smoke flavor and nitrates big?

One of my favorites is blackened corned beef. Boil it the usual way and then blacken it in a hot cast iron afterwards with seasonings. Very good, a bit like pastrami!

RE: Re: RE: Weekend Cook

Here it will be around 18 people feasting on 14 racks of babybacks, 4 armadillo eggs (made with JD maple fatty), a regular maple fatty, about a dozen hot sausage links, some hot dogs, and some cheesy bread made with the Cajun sauce that Harry J sent me. Of course there will be Richie beans, tater salad and slaw on the side. I figure with a heat index of 110 today, I'll only need a couple pieces of charcoal to get to 225....heheheheh.

I'm really liking the armadillo eggs better than the ABT/ADT's so whoever came up with that idea, thanks much. I cooked my last round of armadillo eggs for two hours at 225 and they were a bit overdone. Of course, I was using FMV fatties and they are more fat than meat. Lesson learned which is why I'm using JD this time and since you guys keep harping on it, I'm going with the maple flavor. Might try throwing them on an upper rack too with the bread. I do have a question for some of the veteren fatty smokers. How do you cook it up? plain? seasoned? stuffed? any ideas or just throw it on and let it go? And 225 for a couple of hours is right, right? I'm open for suggestions.

108 ribeyes and 104 boneless chicken breast for rehersal dinner this evening.

Willy T.

Willy, you got some stuff goin on over there, bro. And here I thought I was cooking for a crew. :)

Just put on a pig butt, a brisket & two racks of spares. Spares coated with the last of Bro Solidkick's award winning rub (from my first sauce exchange 3 times ago).

It's too damned hot here! I wasn't even at the Boone County Contest that long and I'm ready to stay inside the rest of the farkin' weekend! I was gonna drop on a brisket early in the morning but fark it! This A/C feels good when it's 105 out there! I'll cook next weekend when I have more time and hopefully this heatwave breaks!

dxesmkr said:

Willy T.

212 at a rehearsal dinner? I'd hate to be getting the bill for the reception!

Orange Glazed Chicken Chests... Used the iron Chef brand orange marinade as a glaze. Great stuff... Tastes just like the orange chicken from Panda Express.

OK dang it, I'm NEEDING to smoke!!!! someone give me a good idea for the BSKD that can be done in four hours or less that I might not have tried before. I'm thinking it might have to be chicken?? Open to suggestions for tomorrow!

Jorge said:
dxesmkr said:

Willy T.

212 at a rehearsal dinner? I'd hate to be getting the bill for the reception!

It was a pretty sweet deal.The main caterer subbed us out to do the meats and she handled everything else.Myself and two others from my cooking crew knocked it out in 1hr.& 15mins(cooking time).Panned it up and gave it to the main caterer and we were finished.

Willy T.

Re: RE: Weekend Cook

xczar said:
Neil said:
The corned beef brisket will go on tomorrow morning and then later in the afternoon I'll toss on a couple of yard birds.

Aways wondered what a smoked corned beef brisket would turn out like? Is the clash of smoke flavor and nitrates big?

One of my favorites is blackened corned beef. Boil it the usual way and then blacken it in a hot cast iron afterwards with seasonings. Very good, a bit like pastrami!

You need to soak it for a couple of days changing the water at least twice a day to get the nitrates out and use a salt free rub. I also let it sit in the DP marinade for 24 hours.

RE: Re: RE: Weekend Cook

Brisket is now at 167*. Just foiled the fatty with a little apple cider spray and getting ready to prep the corned beef brisket. The 'dera has been holding pretty steady at around 210-220 all night long. Having a basket really is key to temp control with these beasts.

Back