Reheated brisket

wladrules

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The wife suggested reheating this weekend's brisket in au jus mixed with some sweet baby rays. Sliced it cold from the flat and heated at 350 in the oven for 25 minutes. Turned a dry brisket into mouth watering, tender and moist slices that we put on a heated Hawaiian roll with a little bbq sauce. I'm sure there's already a thread on here but I just wanted to share since you guys always share ideas.

Even the kids were excited!

SBR is too sweet for me on brisket, but if you liked it an had good reheating results, then :thumb:

SBR is too sweet for me on brisket, but if you liked it an had good reheating results, then :thumb:

I hear ya. I didn't use much, just enough to notice. What's a good sauce for brisket? Normally I'm not a big sauce guy but sometimes it's nice.

The wife suggested reheating this weekend's brisket in au jus mixed with some sweet baby rays. Sliced it cold from the flat and heated at 350 in the oven for 25 minutes. Turned a dry brisket into mouth watering, tender and moist slices that we put on a heated Hawaiian roll with a little bbq sauce. I'm sure there's already a thread on here but I just wanted to share since you guys always share ideas.
There was no magic your Brisket was under cooked you just finished cooking it.SBR is like a sugar rush ACK!
this aint Rudy's in fact it is Betta Cute kids by the way.

Texas Red Sauce

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
6 Tbl white sugar
2 Tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder
and ground cumin)
1tsp back pepper
1tbl New mexico chili powder
1 tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

* use beef stock instead of water and cut the sugar by 2/3.

Ok, so I got a 2.67lb. corned beef flat. I pulled it out of the freezer in the am. I thawed it in the micro. I soaked it in an ice bath for 7 hours,(in a stainless steel bowl). Seasoned it wtih a slight variation of Thirdeye's.Started the fire with a combo. of apple and hickory wood. Let the meat stand 45 min. Got the smoker to maintain temp. of 225F. Meat on the grill, with probe at 4:00 pm. Smoker maintained temp. between 225F and 275F. At 6:00 pm I preheated the oven to 205F. The meat reached 155F at 6:15 pm on the smoker. I put about 4oz. of beer,(I drank the rest) and double wrapped in heavy alum. foil, and put in the oven to finish. Between the smoker and the oven, the meat dropped to 137F. I raised oven temp. to 225F. At 7:15 the meat temp. was 175F.Pulled it out of the oven, and let it rest, foil on, 2 hours. The meat tasted Awesome, but was a little tough to chew. I will try re-heating, by steaming, hopefully that will tenderize it.

Ok, so I got a 2.67lb. corned beef flat. I pulled it out of the freezer in the am. I thawed it in the micro. I soaked it in an ice bath for 7 hours,(in a stainless steel bowl). Seasoned it wtih a slight variation of Thirdeye's.Started the fire with a combo. of apple and hickory wood. Let the meat stand 45 min. Got the smoker to maintain temp. of 225F. Meat on the grill, with probe at 4:00 pm. Smoker maintained temp. between 225F and 275F. At 6:00 pm I preheated the oven to 205F. The meat reached 155F at 6:15 pm on the smoker. I put about 4oz. of beer,(I drank the rest) and double wrapped in heavy alum. foil, and put in the oven to finish. Between the smoker and the oven, the meat dropped to 137F. I raised oven temp. to 225F. At 7:15 the meat temp. was 175F.Pulled it out of the oven, and let it rest, foil on, 2 hours. The meat tasted Awesome, but was a little tough to chew. I will try re-heating, by steaming, hopefully that will tenderize it.

175 seems like an awfully low finishing temp for brisket. I take mine to anywhere between 195 to 205.

I always reheated mine like you did, but with just the jus, and it seemed to always turn out pretty good. Next time I'll try a little sauce! Learn something new every day...

That's probably why I found it to be a little tough. I will go 195 next time.

Don't go by temp to determine when something is ready. It's just a guide. It's one of the reasons why I listed a range of where my finished temps generally are.

For brisket, use the poke test. Take a meat probe (or something similar) and poke your brisket. It should go through with very little resistance, like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

I do the same - strain the Jus and then mix in a couple tablespoons of A1. I also reheat it in a crock pot.

That's probably why I found it to be a little tough. I will go 195 next time.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat)
Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There Are exceptions to these rules; Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast or
Roasts( Prime rib, Pork loin.....) that need to be cooked to less than well.

Back