How Long for a 3# Butt?

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I couldn't decide between beef or pork for chimichangas so when the store only had an extra large butt and and extra small one, i took the liberty to get both choosing the smaller butt and a small chuckie. How long would the butt take to get to pulling tender cooking at 260?

Smaller cuts of meat can take almost as long as normal sized pieces of meat. Beside there are many variables that can effect the cook so time is not an accurate account of being done. Don't forget to allow a 3-4 hour rest in an insulated cooler before pulling.

The other variable is if you will foil or not foil during the cook. If you foil during the stall, your cooking time will probably be 5 to 7 hours. Without foil it could be 5 to 9 hours.

There is no cookie cutter method of cooking where everything cooks in a specific and then is done at a specific time. The pork butt isn't done until the bone wiggles like a loose tooth, or if boneless, pull or tug on the outer edge if it pulls with no effort it's ready for the rest. You can also probe for tenderness, but I prefer the feel of my fingers over probing.

Smaller cuts of meat can take almost as long as normal sized pieces of meat. Beside there are many variables that can effect the cook so time is not an accurate account of being done. Don't forget to allow a 3-4 hour rest in an insulated cooler before pulling.

The other variable is if you will foil or not foil during the cook. If you foil during the stall, your cooking time will probably be 5 to 7 hours. Without foil it could be 5 to 9 hours.

There is no cookie cutter method of cooking where everything cooks in a specific and then is done at a specific time. The pork butt isn't done until the bone wiggles like a loose tooth, or if boneless, pull or tug on the outer edge if it pulls with no effort it's ready for the rest. You can also probe for tenderness, but I prefer the feel of my fingers over probing.

3 - 4 hour rest seems a bit much.

Like I said there is no cookie cutter method, rest as little or as long as you wish. I prefer a at least a three hour rest even on small cuts because that continues the final break down of collagen and redistributes the liquids as well.

I have done 4 pound boneless butts to take to small gathering to watch a game at friends houses. Never anything under 4.

2 hours per lb is a good guideline. But it's just a guideline. Butts are finicky and they are done when the bone pulls right out IMO. I never rest any of my meat. I thought that myth was busted long ago.

I cooked a 3.0lb boneless butt a few weeks back at 250-270 and it took me 5.5hours foiling at 160.

If you are trying to rush it you can crank up the temp after foiling.

2 hours per lb is a good guideline. But it's just a guideline. Butts are finicky and they are done when the bone pulls right out IMO. I never rest any of my meat. I thought that myth was busted long ago.

I was wondering about this recently. Some people say it's pointless to rest but still many people do it. What is the truth here? Just preference?

I had it backwards. I bought a 3# chuck roast and a 4# butt. It went on at 10:30 am at 285. The smoker climbed to 300 briefly and is at 285 now. At 1 hour 15 minutes into the cook the chuck is at 125 and the butt is at 110. I plan on panning the chuck with some wine and may do the same with the butt. Im making chimichangas with the meat with a spicy rub i made up with roasted chili de arbol. There will be pron on another thread.

I was wondering about this recently. Some people say it's pointless to rest but still many people do it. What is the truth here? Just preference?

I have not rested my butts in the past on purpose and do not believe there are any issues with moisture retention as I have never seen any juices puddling up in the pan when I pull the meat as soon as i take it off the pit. I do believe however that the rest would allow the butt to continue to cook very slowly and break down the collagen more without overcooking the meat.

2 hours 15 minutes in, the smoker is running 275. The chuck is at 156 and going into pan now with wine and the butt is at 151.

In my experience, everything does better when rested for at least 30 minutes - an hour is better for larger pieces of meat and longer can be just fine. Longer rests need more wrapping and insulation. We always rest our chicken too and have been known to even rest fish for 10 minutes sometimes :shock:

Resting allows the meat to resorb the juices and it comes out moister. We pull anywhere from 5 to 12 degrees below the final temp we are after depending on the type of cut (pull sooner for high quality meat we want to eat rare or medium rare) size of the cut and how long it will rest.

Back