Bacon question

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
so...gonna be making some bacon for the first time later this week, and I have a question.

planning to basically follow this:

Weigh the meat then measure out 3% of the weight in salt, 1% in sugar and 0.25% in cure #1. There's your basic dry cure that you can't over-cure and you don't need to soak the meat afterwards, just rinse, dry and smoke. Feel free to add any herbs or spices you like on top of it.

Edit - you can turn this into a brine if you count the water weight as meat weight too. E.g.

1000ml water & 1kg of meat would need 60g of salt, 20g sugar and 5g of cure #

The correct usage for cure #1 is 2.5g per 1000g of meat

--how long should I cure? 5-7 days? longer? shorter?

I Will go 7 days on most bellies, 10 days if they're extra thick. Dave's cure is pretty low salt, so even if you go longer, it shouldn't be overly salty.

If you're using belly, I would agree with 5 to 10 days, although I rarely take them out in less than 7 days.

Before you start, it's worth preparing a pickle of 1lb salt to a gallon of water, plus a teaspoon of cure #1. Chill the pickle and the pork overnight, then put the meat into the pickle for an hour. The pickle cleanses the pork before you dry rub.

Remove from the pickle and pat dry with absorbent paper before applying the dry cure to whatever recipe you've chosen. Leave in a shallow tray, under refrigeration, skin side down, with the tray slightly tilted so that the pork doesn't sit in the liquid. Drain the liquid off daily.

I like to apply only half the cure on day one, and the other half after 3 or 4 days.

When you're happy that the meat is cured, rinse it briefly in cold water, dry it, and leave it for at least 5 days hanging in a dark dry place before using it. You can cover it with a muslin to look really professional. Alternatively it can be cold-smoked.

Good luck!

Back