Chicken quarter selling price

PorkinButts82

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What's a fair selling price for chicken 1/4s?
31434526e3e538a53108eee7cf7fcbe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No one that actually knows how to answer your quesion can do so. There are too many variables involved. Someone could give you a number, but that doesn't mean it would apply to you.

Am I to assume that you have paid the price of admission to play in this game?

Depending on the venue, I'd say a quarter or 2 with 2 small, cheap sides (1/2c beans & 3/4c slaw) plus a small roll for $4-$5/plate. +$1 for breast/wing option.

In my opinion, regardless of the per pound cost of a leg/thigh quarter at the grocery store, people are happy to get a reasonably full belly for $5 or less.

Depends on the price per pound you are getting them for. There is a store local to me that will run 10# bags at 39-49 cents per pound several times each summer. I generally buy 10-15 bags per sale and each bag generally has 9-11 quarters. If I get 10 quarters out of a $5 bag...50 cents per. The more quarters I am cooking the lower the fuel cost per...one of the variables mentioned above...

Long story short...I generally sell for $1.25 to $1.50 per to the average Joe...a bit less for people I know...and like. :mrgreen:

No one that actually knows how to answer your quesion can do so. There are too many variables involved. Someone could give you a number, but that doesn't mean it would apply to you.

Am I to assume that you have paid the price of admission to play in this game?
Not sure I'm understanding where you're going with the second sentence...

What is your cost per quarter including all seasonings used? How are you selling them? Like for a dinner, by the dozen, each?

What is your cost per quarter including all seasonings used? How are you selling them? Like for a dinner, by the dozen, each?
Usually a 6 pack of quarters can be had for $6-$8. Depending on size. Seasonings are pennies on the dollar, since I make my own. I may buy a bulk bag if the timing is right when something I want is on sale.
Just looking to make a few extra dollars doing what I love to do. There is some interest with some people that are friends and some of their friends.

Usually a 6 pack of quarters can be had for $6-$8. Depending on size. Seasonings are pennies on the dollar, since I make my own. I may buy a bulk bag if the timing is right when something I want is on sale.
Just looking to make a few extra dollars doing what I love to do. There is some interest with some people that are friends and some of their friends.

First you need to know your exact food cost. Don't assume things are pennies on the dollar as they add up quickly. For a example though based on what you wrote lets say your cost of a leg quarter is $1. You will take your food cost x 3 and that gets you in the ball park of what to charge so $3 per quarter in this case. You could give discounts based on quantity ordered if you would like.

People are talking serving the 10# bag of quarters for $4-$6 with 9 to 11 in the bag. How many serve "select" grade brisket? These quarters are usually from burnt out egg layers. I use them to make stock. A quality quarter will run about $1.35 to $1.75 a pound and weigh about 3/4 of a pound. Now you are talking a cost of $1.50 each X 3 = $4.50 plus $1.25 to $1.50 per 4 ounce side. Good food ain't cheap and cheap food... I tried not to be a "non-profit" operation.

I think Poor Old Dan makes a good point.
$.99 a pound is the most I would pay today for
Thighs or Legs, and that is Costco Price, I would buy there.

You go buying huge chicken quarters at Latin Markets, etc.,
you be buying laying HENS, my son.

CAN WE GO BACK TO THE OP PIC?
How many of you cut of that tail thing full of fat before cooking?

I do. Maybe when selling people want that.

Not sure I'm understanding where you're going with the second sentence...

Where I'm going is...have you paid for your licensing, insurance, etc?

Anyone that doesn't even know how to price their product most likely is operating illegally...which is what it sounds like you intend on doing.

Last edited:

Anyone that doesn't even know how to price their product most likely is operating illegally...which is what it sounds like you intend on doing.
Don't need all that stuff when I'm not looking to open a business. I'm simply asking a question to see what a fair market price is. No need to get your panties in a knot. I'm not taking money out of your pocket or food off your plate.

Don't need all that stuff when I'm not looking to open a business. I'm simply asking a question to see what a fair market price is. No need to get your panties in a knot. I'm not taking money out of your pocket or food off your plate.

I don't think he's worried about you taking money out of his pocket, but rather more concerned about your well being and your assets....
I know you said you were not looking to open a business, but below is something that anyone looking to cater, even to a friend, should consider before moving forward.

IE: Keep in mind that someone doesn't actually have to get sick from eating your food, they only have to allege that they did.

No one should engage in the food business without being incorporated as a legitimate business. Without being incorporated you and all of your assets owned by you and your family are up for grabs (including your home and vehicles) in a lawsuit. Incorporating separates you and your personal assets from those of the recognized corporate entity. In a lawsuit they can sue the corporation but cannot come after you unless you blatantly caused harm as an individual.

If you are planning on catering an event, even for a friend you should be aware of the laws and the risks involved. By ignoring these and not investigating the legal requirements for any event, you are putting yourself at a great risk. Ignorance of the laws and regulations are not a defense, in fact it will just help to build a stronger case against you if something should go wrong.

First: Will you be operating within State, Local, and Health Department regulations? Do you have a business license, a food handlers permit, and will you prepare the food in a health department approved and inspected commercial kitchen?

Second: Do you have the proper liability insurance to cover you and the patrons?

Be aware that without these two primary items being fully covered, you are taking a huge huge risk both personally and financially.

Without proper procedure and requirements, there are too many risks and not enough rewards. What legal ramifications are you willing to endure should this become an issue of someone getting ill? Trying to sneak past the "government" can lead to too many bad things. This is a risk anyone with any common sense should never consider taking.

How much of your personal assets are you willing to risk due to foodborne illness issues should they occur? Or if someone claims they became ill sometime after eating your food. If a civil suit is brought against you because of this claim, you could lose your home, your savings, and your investments.

My intent is not to discourage you, but to point out the possible ramifications of this type of event without the proper "coverage", "licenses", and "permits".

Some would say that they are doing this as a hired hand and they should be covered under the organizations insurance policy. Not true, unless you are getting a weekly paycheck and paying into workman's compensation, disability insurance, state and federal taxes, then you are not an employee. If you are paying these taxes you could be considered an employee, but you could also be held personally liable as a co-defendant because you used your personal equipment to cook the food.

Secondly if you are using your own equipment to cook with, many states view this as a sub-contractor status where YOU are responsible for all of your own permits, licenses, and liability insurance.

It may be a one in a million case that someone becomes ill, but we live in a litigious society today. People make false claims all the time in an effort to sue for personal gain. If you are prepared to risk it ALL then go ahead. Otherwise walk away until you do do the necessary diligence to cover yourself.

This is a totally different thing than just cooking great BBQ for your family in your back yard and inviting friends over. If you want to go into business then take the appropriate steps. If not then be prepared to accept all possible consequences.

As far as commercial food preparation;
The kitchen in which food is prepared is subject to the Uniform Building Code code. To my knowledge, all states use this code and even expand further upon it with even more local regulations. In general, the Uniform Building Code states: any kitchen that is used to prepare food that is not served immediately and on premises must be to current local health codes. Also be aware that all of the building that has access to the kitchen must also meet those codes, not just the kitchen area. Thus the resn why a kitchen in the home cannot be used. A few states allow for certain uses if your "APPROVED" kitchen is separate from the home, where you cannot pass from the kitchen into the home. In other words, you must completely leave the kitchen structure (pass outside) to access the the house, then you could possibly have that kitchen approved. This is not always the case, it is dependent upon your local authorities.

This is the reason catering costs seem high to some people, Insurance, license fees, permits, approved kitchen, and inspections are all costs that have to be calculated in the final price.

Sorry for the long post, but just trying to explain what Cook was referring to in an effort to help protect yourself.

Last edited:
What you are doing is illegal...and immensely dangerous for the people you are cooking for, you, and your family...not to mention illegal.

Don't do it.

Last edited:
This is the reason catering costs seem high to some people, Insurance, license fees, permits, approved kitchen, and inspections are all costs that have to be calculated in the final price.

Wow!! Super helpful and informative!! Although most things you mention seem like commonsense, you definitely paint the bigger picture. Thank you, IamMadMan, for your insight and post! Well-done! :thumb:

If the payments are considered "tips" then I don't see how or what's illegal about anyone doing it. So I can't cook for friends and family without them giving me a tip? I'm not promoting a sale or anything like that. People do it by word of mouth all the time.

Back