• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much meat to feed 100-125 people

Dirt Road BBQ

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I've been asked to barbecue for our HOA picnic. They are expecting between 100 and 125 people. I will be responsible for the meat and then it will be potluck for sides and desserts. I was thinking I would need 4-5 14lbs briskets and 6 8lbs pork butts. They may also want ribs. I have the capacity to cook all 3 types of meat, but just don't know for sure what quantities I need of each.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

My math (which I am still learning) figures you would be feeding a 1/2 pound of delish to each person...

Unless the HOA is the Hearty Overeaters of America; this seems a bit high.:-D

*Edited for smiley content

Is it a "serve yourself" type deal? Because I normally can get 18-24 pulled pork sammiches when smoking an 8lb butt. However, that's using the regular sized buns, not the huge, seeded variety.

Yes, it will be a serve yourself meal. They're not really sure how many people will attend. We have almost 200 homes in our neighborhood, but historically they've only had about 100+ attend. This year they've pushed it back later in the year, so we will have cooler weather in the hopes we will get better attendance. I would rather err on the side of too much meat, than too little.

Yes, it will be a serve yourself meal. They're not really sure how many people will attend. We have almost 200 homes in our neighborhood, but historically they've only had about 100+ attend. This year they've pushed it back later in the year, so we will have cooler weather in the hopes we will get better attendance. I would rather err on the side of too much meat, than too little.

Yeah, if it is a serve yourself type setup I'd definitely err on the side of too much meat. Our cul-de-sac had a block party earlier in the summer and we had crawfish, hamburgers and the all the sides. It was a serve yourself type setup. I had this funny feeling we needed to buy about ten more pounds of crawfish and several more burgers. Well thank goodness we did because you're always going to have "that family" who has one or two teenage boys or the entire family who simply piles food on their plate.

Last edited:
I've been asked to barbecue for our HOA picnic. They are expecting between 100 and 125 people. I will be responsible for the meat and then it will be potluck for sides and desserts. I was thinking I would need 4-5 14lbs briskets and 6 8lbs pork butts. They may also want ribs. I have the capacity to cook all 3 types of meat, but just don't know for sure what quantities I need of each.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

125 at 1/3lb per = 42 lbs raw x 2 = 84 lbs of each meat. Using this formula you'll have plenty. :thumb:

Back