Looking for advice for company picnic

TX_LJ

Reaction score
Hey all,

I signed up to cook for my company picnic. I'm told there will be ~50 adults. I know we'll have some sides, chips and dips, bread, and potentially even some grilled chicken (I'm not cooking that) and some veggies, and beer.

That in mind - I looked at the meat calculator that someone posted a while back and I'm not sure exactly what to think. Mainly - I don't plan on serving each plate - I'll slice the ribs and one brisket at a time as needed but I am not measuring.

So - the calculator says I need ~12 slabs. I'm okay with that. I am also doing brisket. My initial thought was I needed about 4 ~12lb packers in addition to the ribs, but the spreadsheet seems to indicate I should have about 9.5 pounds of cooked meat. That's just about one brisket cooked...that seems off by a lot, or I'm way overestimating what I need.

Questions:
1. I'm assuming if I start with ~12-13lb prime packer that it'll cook down to yield about 9 pounds. Is that a fair assumption?

2. Is the spreadsheet in line with what you'd cook given the info I have provided? If not, specifically on the brisket, how many would you plan for?

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
Figure 50% loss on the brisket so at 1/3 lb per person x 50 = 17ish lbs so figure at least 34-35 lbs of raw brisket. I would figure 3 bones per person for ribs so your right there.

Figure 50% loss on the brisket so at 1/3 lb per person x 50 = 17ish lbs so figure at least 34-35 lbs of raw brisket. I would figure 3 bones per person for ribs so your right there.
This Seems About Right.

Back