Bludawg's Brisket

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'd been whiffing on brisket for a while. Not crap, but nothing special. This past winter, I saw Bludawg's KISS method for packers and gave it a shot. Let's just say it took my brisket up several levels.

I use foil instead of butcher paper at comps to capture more drippings, plus I use a different rub, but otherwise I follow the instructions to the letter. It took me two cooks to trust the probing and forget about temps, but when I did, wow.

Anyway, in our two competitions this year (just our 2nd and 3rd ever), We got 3rd out of 35 and 5th out of 54 in brisket. That deserves one hell of a thank you.

So...

Hey Bludawg, Thanks Dude!

If you haven't tried it, try it already.

Sounds great! Assuming you used the UDS? What temp did you run at? With a deflector plate? Thanks!

Congratulations...

Sounds like you are on your way to producing a winning brisket....

I hope so. Little tiny tweaks on rub and finishing touches plus some luck... you never know.

I I just popped the buttons off my shirt! Shhh don't tell anyone they will all be doing it

I just appreciate the sharing of knowledge. Superb. Thanks!

Sounds great! Assuming you used the UDS? What temp did you run at? With a deflector plate? Thanks Dawg!

Yep. I used Black Betty. 300° on the button. I do have a deflector plate that sits directly on top of my fire basket, but I drilled a ton of holes in it until the heat distribution was even throughout the grates. So, it's almost a hybrid between a deflector plate and no deflector plate.

Back