Carolina Reaper Brined Corn Beef Point (ongoing cook)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I started brining a brisket for corned beef last Sunday that I planned on cooking as part of my SF cook next weekend when it gets here (This Thread). The brine has a 1tsp of Carolina Reaper powder in it so see how hot that might make it. Seemed like folks thought it was a lot, but I didn't know how much to add. Instead of waiting till next week I'm going to go ahead and cook up the smaller point today :biggrin1:! I'll let the flat ride till next weekend.

So we shall see if it tastes good, has too much heat or is just a complete dumpster fire and the flat will suck as well :becky:.

Firing up the egg

Rub ingredients

Out of the brine and just a rinse. I don't soak in water really ever

Rubbed and on!

Going to smoke for 4hrs or so and then will finish in my pressure cooker. I'll update as it goes along. Plan is to eat it with some naan i picked up at costco and adding some guac to it as well. Seems like completely conflicting ideas, but sounds good to me. Looking forward to some heat :clap2:.

Oh and Erin is making cheesecake that looks disgusting

This is going to be a good & interesting cook.

Bless Erin for making something to cool the fire!

Into the pressure cooker

And little sample to help it fit

And few drinks

Also making mac for next weekend. This batch is enough for 3 half pans. Two for next weekend.

This is for tonight. Added jalapenos, red onion and cilantro and will bake here in a bit.

It's all looking great Jason! I've not tried pressure cooking pastrami...will give it a go. Thanks!

It's all looking great Jason! I've not tried pressure cooking pastrami...will give it a go. Thanks!

Its a fun way to steam and finish if the size fits of course :becky:. Full corned briskets I'll just foil and let ride until done.

Looks tasty. Regarding you not finding it very spicy, my thoughts are that I never get much flavor from the seasonings in the brine from corned beef/pastrami. I've even doubled my pickling spice and garlic without much difference. The gains are in adding extra pickling spice to the boil for corned beef, or the seasoning rub on the pastrami. Even with a really long brine on smaller cuts, the penetration on anything besides the salt, cure, and sweet is just minimal. During the cook is where it's at, but I sure as chit wouldn't use a tsp of that Satan powder in the rub! Looking forward to next time! Dinner still looks killer though!

Great cook, brother!

I agree with the above... would be most interested in seeing some of the Reaper in the rub vs. in the brine...

Your grub sure looks amazing! Appreciate you sharing the adventure with us.

Great cook, brother!

I agree with the above... would be most interested in seeing some of the Reaper in the rub vs. in the brine...

Your grub sure looks amazing! Appreciate you sharing the adventure with us.

I might at it to the rub next weekend :becky:. Will be plenty of other meats folks can eat if they don't like spicy :clap2:.

Back