Shipping a Shirley to New Jersey

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
HI All Just got 2 quotes from U-Ship for shipping a Shirley 24 x 36 patio smoker.
Both quotes were more then the cost of the smoker.:shocked:
One of the shippers was right in Tuscaloosa Al.
- Insurance
- Shipping
- Packing/Crating
Services Quote

Quote ID: BHM-3844
Quoted Price: $1,300.44

So anyone have any idea's/thoughts on getting this smoker up to New Jersey. A road trip is out of the question.I haven't ordered the smoker yet. With shipping being that high, I just might have to look at other opitions, Lang/Yoder
Thanks DanB

Patio smokers just aren't easy to ship. I can't think of any easy way to get a smoker of that weight and size to you. It's why many suggest finding a builder in your area. I'm a HUGE shirley fan and i have one on order. But for your situations I would look into other options.

There's something with shipping to Jersey that is an issue. There have been a couple threads on this before.. If you were shipping to Virginia, the shipping cost would be half or less.. There's a thread or 2 out there on this very topic.. in the end we discovered it was Jersey that was the problem.. for whatever reason. I'll try to find the threads..

Honestly, with gas as low as it is, renting a trailer and a truck and driving it up wouldn't cost ya more than $2-300.

EDIT - Here it is..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204201

Hi I only found one local to build a smoker for me, his reply was it would cost more if he built it.
I started looking at a Lang 36 Patio smoker, but shipping was $500, I thought that was crazy, shipping costing 1/2 of the smoker price. I also looked into a Yoder Cheyenne, shipping wasn't too bad, but fell for the Shirley after reading all about them on this forum.
Thanks DanB

What build are you getting that's less than $1,300?

Hi It is a 24 x 36 smoker, similar to the Lang 36 Patio smoker.
Shagdog I've read that thread,that guy is very close to me, I have to contact him and see who he used.
DanB

You may be able to get a trailer smoker for similar money at that point and that would probably be cheaper to ship

Hi Really don't need anything bigger. Why would a trailer smoker be cheaper to ship?
Thanks DanB

No packing fees, no crating. You just find some redneck with a truck and insurance and they tow it up.

Could you get it shipped somewhere close to your area and meet them part of the way. Make them ship by appointment only so they have to call ahead. Just a suggestion.

I'm in jersey as well and have a Shirley coming in January. I'm using points to fly Down, cover a hotel halfway back, and points for a uhaul. Only cost will be gas and two vacation days. Without points its $250 for the rental uhaul. I would recommend picking an airline credit card with a strong point signup bonus spend the alotted minimum to get the bonus. redeem them to cover the flight and just drive back. Just make sure to find a card without a high spending minimum to get the bonus

When I was deciding between smokers, including the ones you mentioned I priced them out smoker + shipping. Nothing came even close to Lang. In fact a well known builder in my own state couldn't beat that criteria, so it was a no brainer. No regrets from me so far.

I used FreightCenter.com. I shipped a 24X50 Shirley to Portland, Oregon for a couple hundred less than that.

My unit was a wagon model and highly mobile so I was able to bypass crating. They wheeled it into the truck, strapped it in and drove it 2600 miles. Lift gate service on my end sealed the deal. Make sure you insure it well and agree to a slower delivery time, that should help.
Good Luck

I guess you could fly to alabama, rent a truck and make the 15 hr drive. That was my plan if I won the contest for the kids last week! I am in NY, shipping is no bueno.

Isn't this a dilemma for many people?

The other issue is what happens if something goes wrong with the smoker after you buy it down the road.

I'm in the same boat, and I understand I will have shipping, but my concern is what happens if something goes wrong, and I have to pay shipping again.

Some are FOB for warranty if I'm not mistaken. You are on your own once you sign off as good when it arrives. After that point you are on your own. Is this correct?

I know many builders will stand behind their work, but will they pick up shipping charges? If not that could be very costly.

Another point some have made is Fab shops local may cost more then proven builders. In the end you may just have to go a route that is your 2nd or 3rd option, and that sucks when you are spending multiple thousands of dollars.

Isn't this a dilemma for many people?

The other issue is what happens if something goes wrong with the smoker after you buy it down the road.

I'm in the same boat, and I understand I will have shipping, but my concern is what happens if something goes wrong, and I have to pay shipping again.

Some are FOB for warranty if I'm not mistaken. You are on your own once you sign off as good when it arrives. After that point you are on your own. Is this correct?

I know many builders will stand behind their work, but will they pick up shipping charges? If not that could be very costly.

Another point some have made is Fab shops local may cost more then proven builders. In the end you may just have to go a route that is your 2nd or 3rd option, and that sucks when you are spending multiple thousands of dollars.

What's with all the pessimism all of the time? ie: your "fanboy" thread applies...

Back