Building a cast iron smoker

Mred21

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My wife found an old cast iron water tank and she thought it would be good for my smoker build I am working on(I am collecting parts for a UDS) we are going to pick up the tank today it is 62" tall and around 20" wide and was in use till last Thursday I will decide what design to build after I get it. I was wondering if there is info on this type of build and the best ways to work with cast iron? Any help would be helpful.

I have no help to offer... but I can't wait to see some pictures once you get the tank! I wonder how heavy that beast is.

Currently I have one fuzzy picture of the top that shows a dome top held in a cylinder with gaint rivets. I will take picture and I will try to post one. We are guessing 300 pounds.

I'll bet it would be Awesome! Horizontal 1/4 cow smoker! I would pm Tuscaloosa Q and dwfisk among others.

I have been looking at cast iron gate hinges and latches on vandyke destorers to go with the cerca 1905 tank. Got a flat tire on the way there and now stuck at tire shop hopefully we will still be able to get it tonight. My wife thinks this won't be very bothered by the wind and wants me to work on this instead of the UDS.

This will be quite a challenge. Cast iron is very brittle. Good luck!

We got the tank and it's rolled Steel and riveted domed top with 2 3/4 pipes on top and a concave bottom. The weight is prably dirt but it's still 1/8 Steel so I will open it and go from there. I will take pictures tommrow.

It sounds like it may be a water heater tank? Will be much easier than cast iron to work with.

Your not dealing with cast iron, but just some info for those interested.
Cast iron can be welded with a mig for some things, BUT for welding anything that has high heat/firebox, you would have to weld it using nichol rod, preheat before welding and slowly cool after the weld to help insure the weld area or cast iron would not crack. Still no guarantee it would not crack. Cast iron is a PIA to work with, it destroys cutting tools. Mostly due to the very small particles of sand still present in the cast iron. I have fabricated cast iron exhaust manifolds for vehicles among other things. Some worked other just kept cracking.
This might help you using a water tank
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7XaLK8-7PM"]Uncle Stogys Water Heater to Barbecue PART 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Wouldn't bother trying to build anything with cast iron..other than a plain Jane UDS...Welding CI is a pain in the arse. Metal is metal, they will all block the wind. As far as heat retention....it is still just a piece of metal.

Good luck with that, welding is a pain , besides when you start welding it , it prolly will crack, not worth, also how you plan on cutting it if the nee too come up. I can bee done but you need to know what you doing

I have fabricated many things the past 50 years and I link to my loss of hair and sense of humor to cast iron. Iron will dissipate heat from your cooking chamber as it has great thermal charteristics. but the main thing is trying to work it...Even experienced would stay away..

I was thinking cast iron would be cool but it looks like rolled and riveted Steel. It still holds water but it could be 111 years old and may not be usable. I will start a new thread when we start building it.

Back