Superbowl Brisket Flat

dsp2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cooked a 5.5 pound brisket flat yesterday. Had to be out in the morning and didn't start til late. I knew I would only eat a few slices late night, I'd then save a couple meals worth for this week, and vac seal the rest.

Cooked on the WSM with S&P with Embers charcoal and Oak wood chunks (lots of 'em). Went about 4 hours and 20 minutes with temps starting around 225 and creeping up to almost 300 over those 4 hours and 20 mins. I then wrapped in butcher paper and let the temps climb even more to above 300 for an hour. Pulled it when it was probe tender in at least most spots....temps varied from the 195 up to about 205.

It was good. I am trying to cook similar things in similar ways and trying to be more mindful about the effects of certain changes. Yesterday It was apparent that 6 chicken drums I had on the WSM outside of the brisket flat were dripping on the coals and causing some white smoke. Once those were gone, it was back to thin blue smoke. Next time I will be more mindful about only cooking over the water pan. I often throw things like those drums on figuring I'm wasting space by not doing so.

Brisket was tasty, tender, and there was a ton of delicious juice in the paper. That said I think next time I will go without wrapping at all. The nice bark got a little mushy in the paper. Note I think the real problem is I wrapped before the bark had fully set.

Live and learn. And eat some pretty OK brisket along the way :)

12656422_812081365748_1586097966_o.jpg

Thanks, all!

I only sliced a couple tiny slices to taste last night. I was going on the theory that brisket stays better whole and that it can dry out quickly after being sliced. I then cut it in half as I knew I'd foodsaver half of it and eat the other half this week.

Just ate some for dinner and here are a couple pics. Apologies for the poor presentation. It tastes great and is super moist.

IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG

Wow, I bet there were a lot less left-over than you thought there would be! :grin:

Nice rainy day meal right there. I put a whole point in the freezer today.

Back