Freezing Meat

Smokedawg86

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey brethren, this might be a rookie question and I apologize in advance if I should know this. I'm normally a purchase the day before I prepare kind of guy, but I miss out on many sales I randomly run into. Can someone give me their input of suggested thawing times and/or methods for the traditional bbq meats and steaks? I know size impacts everything, but maybe some general guidelines that you all follow could be helpful. I feel that I could save a lot of money by stocking my freezer rather than purchasing at the last minute all the time. I freeze and thaw basic stuff, but I want to make sure I properly handle some of the larger cuts without compromising the integrity of such good product.

I typically pull something out of the freezer and put it into the fridge on Wednesday, which makes it available Friday-Sunday. If it is really large, I may have to take it out of the fridge early on Friday if I want it completely thawed.

I typically only cook brisket, butts or full beef tenderloins on Sat or Sun. (large cuts)

Hope that helps.

If you vacuum pack it correctly, it will not loose enough flavor to detect. If you just freeze it wrapped in plastic or paper, then it will get frost/freezer burn and will affect the flavor. I have some meat that is over a year old in vacuum bags that taste like it was purchased yesterday when thawed correctly.

Omar

I use to do like you but good cost just got out of hand.

I give one day for small things and 3-4 for larger cuts.

Buy a vac sealer, food keeps better and longer with one. Also i prefer a deep freezer to freeze stuff. Its best to freeze as fast as you can and thaw as slow as you can.

I find it best fresh. But if frozen correctly it's still pretty darn good. 14# brisket for a Saturday cook I will take out of the freezer on Tuesday and if needed I will take it out of the fridge Friday so it's ready in the wee hours of the morning.

As said before, I vacuum seal everything I freeze. It can keep for a couple years depending on your vacuum sealer. On a pork butt or brisket you are looking at at least 3 days. Ribs are 1-2. Of course, this is thawing in your fridge.

When having to thaw large fish/meats and not much room in the fridge, I put water into a cooler and let the food rest for usually 2 to 3 days depending on outside temps and thickness of food. When the middle is still part frozen, remove water add an ice block and let it finish thawing. Using deep freezers mine take an extra day compared to a regular freezer. I usually count on 5 days + to thaw.

I find if food is properly sealed when freezing there is minimal flavor loss. Freezing meat usually effects the texture of the final product in my opinion. Depending on how well it was sealed and how long it was frozen. I find meat not sealed well will have a more rubbery texture after freezing/thawing compared to a fresh product.

Smoke Ninja, which vac sealer do you use?

I have a FoodSaver brand vac sealer. I think its the top end one with all the extra settings. I portion out and save anything i can buy in bulk on sale. Stuff in a cryovac i just leave as is unless the bag looks compromised. I also vac seal cooked bbq. Leftover pork or brisket. Ive even done an extra rack of ribs before to reheat when i dont have time to Q or to give to a friend.

I read somewhere that it is not technically frozen until it is below 22 degrees. This was about fresh vs frozen turkeys if I remember correctly. Should apply to beef and pork as well I would think.

Omar

I read somewhere that it is not technically frozen until it is below 22 degrees. This was about fresh vs frozen turkeys if I remember correctly. Should apply to beef and pork as well I would think.

Omar

Ive heard the same thing regarding the term "frozen" fir birds. The logic was it would be better to buy one quick deep froze than one hovering in the high twenties. The ice crystals are bigger in the partial slow freeze and rupture cell walls in the meat. Who am i to argue that, maybe we should ask Gore.

Just my personal experience and taste buds. Don't flame me, it is just one persons opinion which doesn't amount to squat, but I'm sticking to it.

Not going to flame you. Just wondered if you were talking from personal experience or something you read/heard somewhere else.

If you care to discuss it, can you give more details ?

A vacuum sealer is a great thing but not necessary. My family froze meat for many years before vacs were available. We wrap the meat tightly in two layers of cellophane and then one layer of freezer paper. We ate meat that was well over a year old. It is not as good as fresh but it is still plenty good enough. Especially cuts like butts or hams.

Back