Finally Beef Ribs

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All Well I'm finally getting around to smoke some beef ribs. Picked up a package of Angus Short ribs at RD..Trying to smoke them on my converted E Smoker, having a very hard time with keeping temps down. I have to leave the top half open to get temps in the 250-275 range, once it gets covered the temps go up real fast Checked my terms before in boiling water they were all right on. I took some pics of the ribs before posting, but they weren't good enough to post, hopefully the finished ribs will be good to post?

Old Beef rib post http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204362

Same problem I had last time smoking a chicken. This time I added some vents/dampers, only used a 1/2 Weber chimney, made a circle, put 3-4 Kingsford Blue to get things started. Closed or open with the vents/dampers still the temps went up real fast.
Don't know what else to do?? Maybe next time try the snake method?. Use lest charcoal.
Well after 2 1/2 hrs and with the top just closed temps are holding 261, me thinks the it is coals are dying down?
Any thoughts/idea's with the temp problems that I am facing.
Ribs are at 171* after 2 1/2 hrs.
Here is a link to what my E conversion looks like. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/161245/can-this-be-done
Thanks Dan
PS I didn't want to fire up my COS just for 1 rack of beef ribs.

Last edited:
Wow

Hi All WOW 135 views and No replies. Guess I'm on my own on this one.:decision:
Temps went down too 200 (coals were dying out) I lit about 10/15 more coals and the temps sky rocketed once again. I had lava rocks in water pan to try and stabilize temps. Hard to believe that small amount of coals can generate so much heat.
There has to be a way to regulate temps, like WSM?
Thanks Anyway
DanB
The ribs are reading 199 after 5 hrs and almost probe tender.:clap:
Going to wrap and rest till dinner, bout 2 hrs.

I'm wondering if its as simple as not having a proper seal? Not familiar with that kind of cooker but my guess would be a fairly large air leak somewhere.

edit: Looking at your post on the other forum, it seems that might be the case. You have a hole on the bottom, the front rectangular hole, and then it appears the whole bottom can come off. One of the reasons the UDS holds temps so well is that it's essentially sealed shut other than the ball valves on the bottom.

I think if you were to do a few fatties and get a good patina on it you'll find the temps will be more stable in future cooks. Best of luck!

It was unclear, to me, what you were asking. There was lots of good advice here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=204362
My Brinkman sets in the basement. Life is too short for me to deal with it. I keep it only in case I run across a barrel where I can use the grates. Kettles are cheap, and produce good results, both for grilling and smoking.

Your converted electric smoker is not sealed well and is breathing. Your attempts at minion methods will continue in the same general fashion until the pit is sealed up better.

I would put the electric element back in it and use it as designed. But that's beside the point.

Seal it up.

Regards,

Kevin

Ribs

Hi All Thanks for the replies..The ribs are looking good.

I'm going to play around with the smoker some more and see "IF" I can plug up the holes/leaks. Trouble is smokers needs an air inlet and a outlet? Just like on an offset, you have a chimney stack to get air out and the door vents to get air/oxygen to fire.

I really thought this was going to be a no brainier.
Thanks Again DanB

Last edited:
Hi All Thanks for the replies..The ribs are looking good.

I'm going to play around with the smoker some more and see "IF" I can plug up the holes/leaks. Trouble is smokers needs an air inlet and a outlet? Just like on an offset, you have a chimney stack to get air out and the door vents to get air/oxygen to fire.

I really thought this was going to be a no brainier.
Thanks Again DanB

Nice looking ribs!

Yup, no doubt you need an inlet, I think the problem is your you have too much or unwanted of an inlet. On my UDS, I have standard 3 holes on the bottom, and I usually have 2 sealed off and one with a ball valve about 1/2 opened. Not very much and it holds temps at 250 pretty solid.

Hard to tell by your design, but I guess the main culprit for you is either that hole on the bottom, or the front rectangular door thing. Are you able to control either? Do you have a pic of your current setup?

Hi the rectangle hole on side was sealed up, gotta seal the round hole on the bottom, see what happens next time.
When I purchased the E smoker 2 years ago, the same company Master Forge had a charcoal one,almost the same setup as the E smoker. That is why I thought this would be a NO brainer
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/master-forge-charcoal-smoker

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Nice looking ribs!

Yup, no doubt you need an inlet, I think the problem is your you have too much or unwanted of an inlet. On my UDS, I have standard 3 holes on the bottom, and I usually have 2 sealed off and one with a ball valve about 1/2 opened. Not very much and it holds temps at 250 pretty solid.

Hard to tell by your design, but I guess the main culprit for you is either that hole on the bottom, or the front rectangular door thing. Are you able to control either? Do you have a pic of your current setup?
Here is a pic. I had both top and bottom holes/vents plugged at times trying to control temps.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi the rectangle hole on side was sealed up, gotta seal the round hole on the bottom, see what happens next time.
Thanks Dan

I think if you add a ball joint valve you'll be rockin!

Ball Joint

I think if you add a ball joint valve you'll be rockin!

Hi All That was first thought to put a 1/2" ball vavle, on the bottom and 1/2" pipe on the top.I saw a pic some where they used a lid with holes for better adjusment of the air flow.
Ribs tasted reall good. Could have cook just a tad more.
Got another 3 racks in the fridge, maybe next time on the COS.
Thanks Dan.

Last edited:
Temps??

Hi All I sealed the smoker the best I could , got all the openings on the bottom sealed, except the 2 hole vent/damper..Still I didn't have much control on temps, started with the snake method, took forever to get the temps to go up, so I lit another 1/2 Weber chimney, them temps really went up.
When I was done smoking,played around with the vents some, the smoker was holding temps with the vents both open and closed, didn't seem to matter to the smoker, if they were open or closed. I'm puzzled:mad:
Thanks Dan

Temps

Hi All Guys/girls any idea whats going on with my conversion? There has to be a way to control temps, like with a UDS or WSM. If I could get it temps under control, it would be a good small smoker, when needed.
Thanks DanB

didn't seem to matter to the smoker, if they were open or closed. I'm puzzled:mad:
Thanks Dan

Sorry to hear you're still having troubles Dan.

How long did it hold temp for after closing down all the vents?

To me, it seems unwanted airleaks still seem to be the issue. Have you tried putting a flashlight/latern into the smoker in a darkroom? That would be the first thing I'd try. If you see any light, even the slightest bit, that's essentially air feeding your coals, and thus increasing your temp.

Fire needs air, and if your smoker is increasing in temp when it's completed closed up, it's getting air from somewhere.

Air Leaks

Hi Don't know where there could be air leaks..I think I did a really good job of sealing whereever I could find the leaks.
Not sure how long it held temps with the vents closed.
Going to try the flashlight method, and see what happens.
Thanks Dan

Your lid leaks enough around the diameter to where you won't be able to control your temps. Use either firebox rope, High temp RTV ( will take alot of that). Then if everything else is sealed up, you should be able to hold any temp you want. There is a thread here somewhere on all the different way folks have fixed/modified there's. Mine can go 17-18 hrs at 250 on one load of coals. It's out on loan but I have some photos I can post later when I get home if needed.

Photo's

Hi When you get a chance post the photo's. I do see smoke come up from the lid, not much but some.
Thanks Dan

Temps Control

Hi All I guess I'll just have to give it another try, and see "IF" I can control the temps...Not much left to try, but this time start with fewer coals, and see what happens. Would like to stay in the 250-275 range, if possible.
Thanks DanB

Back