So, what's the latest greatest 2 probe thermometer on the market these days?

thirtydaZe

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I currently own 2 of these,

maverick_et732.jpg

but one of them is missing a probe, thanks to be accidentally breaking it in half thinking it went with a thermometer i was throwing away.

Just checking to see if there is anything "better" a guy should be considering these days?

You know you can buy a new probe? You don't have to buy a new thermometer.

I use a Maverick and it has been great for me. Not sure if there is anything else better right now unless you are wanting to use your phone to monitor the temps.

Here's the one I use. I've only had it since Christmas, and only a few cooks on it, but I'm very happy with it so far. I also have their Thermopen, which I absolutely love.

Thermoworks TW8060 TWO-CHANNEL THERMOCOUPLE WITH ALARM

TW8060_kit_2_probes.jpg

TW8060-Kit (Save $30)

Economy kit includes the TW8060 Thermocouple Alarm Thermometer, a Smokehouse Penetration probe, and a Crocodile Oven probe. Two of our more popular probes for grilling and roasting. Use the Smokehouse probe with the alarm feature to monitor the meat to your preferred doneness temperature, and the Oven probe to keep tabs on the temperature of the oven or smoker. Both probes feature a stainless steel overbraid. Buy the kit and save $30.

(113-177) Smokehouse Penetration Probe: Tip and cable range to 482°F
(113-041) Crocodile Oven Probe: Tip and cable range to 660°F
(No substitutions.) $129.00
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html#KitsTab

Meathead (amazingribs.com) keeps talking up the iCelsius thermometer, which is like a maverick but wifi. Looks like it could be pretty neat.

Yeah i thought a new probe might be the easy option, just thought id see what others preferred?

Thanks for the options so far. Stuff i hadnt seen.

I have 2 Mavericks but just had a HeaterMeter with a Roto Damper and blower built. Did my first cook with it today and it all worked great. The HM can be setup to use maverick probes since you already have them. You could just build the HeaterMeter by itself and add the other stuff later if you had the need. The mavericks work great but I wanted to have a blower to use to help control temps. Forgot to mention that the HM has a PitDroid app or can be accessed from a smartphone, tablet or computer. Didn't drain the battery on my phone.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200664

Last edited:
Meathead (amazingribs.com) keeps talking up the iCelsius thermometer, which is like a maverick but wifi. Looks like it could be pretty neat.
This looks interesting! Here's a couple of links to read up on it, I'm thinking that I may have to get one!:becky:
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/icelsius-wireless-bbq

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/iCelsius-BBQ-Cooking-Thermometer-iPhone/dp/B007SF1M2K"]Amazon.com : iCelsius BBQ - Cooking Thermometer for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch : Meat Thermometers : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314iFlH-hTL.@@AMEPARAM@@314iFlH-hTL[/ame]

Still using my Maverick, and it's been about 2-1/2 years I've had it, I think. I use it a lot, and have never had a problem with it. I like the Thermoworks, but can't justify the cost while the Maverick is still working so well. It refuses to die. :wink:

Still using my Maverick, and it's been about 2-1/2 years I've had it, I think. I use it a lot, and have never had a problem with it. I like the Thermoworks, but can't justify the cost while the Maverick is still working so well. It refuses to die. :wink:

same here.. I would love to replace it with the tappecue though..

Just got the iCelsius a week ago. So far, I really like it. Very easy to set-up wifi. Actually, it is App driven, and they really did a great job on the App design. The probe connection is a little strange as both probes are connect by the same male end. But great range, no dropped signals. Can use it without internet in either direct wifi or bluetooth. I currently own, Maverick 733, iGrill2, Tappecue and CyberQ. Each one has advantages, but I am digging the ease of the iCelsius!!!!!

Only complaint about the Maverick 733 is the horrible instruction manual. Love the dual-use probes.

Only complaint about the Maverick 733 is the horrible instruction manual. Love the dual-use probes.
I have an older Maverick that has been good for a long time though I decide to get the Maverick 733 which arrived yesterday.
Have not opened the box, now I can't wait to see the manual.

I currently own 2 of these,

maverick_et732.jpg

but one of them is missing a probe, thanks to be accidentally breaking it in half thinking it went with a thermometer i was throwing away.

Just checking to see if there is anything "better" a guy should be considering these days?

I used the ET-73 for years. my main problem with it was temperature limitations (400 degrees before the HHH). I finally stepped up for the ET-732 which will handle higher temps and has a better and more accurate wifi range.

that being said, a new probe is only $10

oh ya, plus, you don't have to take the battery cover off to power it on and off

oh ya, plus, you don't have to take the battery cover off to power it on and off

Yeah, seriously, how lame is that? the ET-73 is my first dedicated smoker thermometer.

Do the newer mavericks have a +/- button so you don't have to scroll all the way through all he temps if you want to lower the alarm by a few degrees? It's one main reason I don't bother with the alarms.

I might be interested in the better mavericks but if the setting the temp is the same dumbness as the et-73 I'd just rather spend my money on more lump. :)

The Thermoworks looks amazing but the convenience of the remote wireless display is too good to give up.

BM

My wife bought me a new toy for Christmas... the iGrill. I've used it a couple of times and really like it. It connects to my iphone through bluetooth and I can monitor what's going on with my temps. You can set Peak temps or Range temps or both. I use one probe to monitor the temp in my smoker by setting a temp range and it sounds an alarm when the temp falls below my minimum setting....time to go throw a few sticks on the fire. It also lets me know when it exceeds the max temp setting and I can go out and slow the burn down. Here's a link below.

http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/

Good luck!

BP

Back