New Weber 22.5 Kettle dry run

305Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just got a new weber kettle one touch silver. Putting it through it's paces with a dry run minion method.

Using a pyramid stack of kingsford blue charcoal. Bottom is 10 coals on the wall, 8 coals inside and then 5. Next level is 9 coals against the wall and 6 inside. Top level is 5 coals against the wall.

Chimney started 10 coals and dropped on edge.

Top vent full open bottom vent at about 1/8 open.

Started at 11:20 am est. Looking to get 4-6 hours.

565379EF-1522-4E1E-B70C-BD5D5DB5888D_zpsdajardiy.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a temperature target and what are you using to monitor it?

It should easily go 4 hours if you keep the lid closed and are shooting for under 300F.

Couln't see your set up too good, when I got my weber22, put in full chimney and lit er off, no break in required, if you're looking for slow, make a snake bout half way round, that should last the 4-5 hrs you're looking for. Webers are easy.........:-D

I am targeting 230 - 250.

Snake runs about a third of the way around.

Using a Kingsford grill grate temp dial. Don't have anything else at the moment.

Cool Deal....that'll get you used to how the burn may generally go....charcoal's cheap compared to brisket & such......

One thing I've suggested to folks on a charcoal check is to set in a pan of cold water to simulate a cold lump of meat going on.....not exactly the same, esp. after it gets up to steaming off, but it helps get closer to realistic conditions.....:wink:

Great idea 1buckie. I will do that next. It's been dialed in on 225-230 with no fuss. Just checked rights now and 3 hours in solid temp holding. It's a breezy 76 here in Miami. Looks like I will get 4 hours.

I can get 15 plus hours on my 18.5" kettle. It is all a matter of organizing the charcoal and using the vents.

I suppose you could do that if there's several going on.....off to one side works OK if there just one or two......

MemorialsJuly2012035-2.jpg

LastSundayApril2012021.jpg

This is 3 St. Lou's, 2 in slots & one just flopped on top.....coals still to the one side......

MemorialsJuly2012041-1.jpg

Using a ring like that is a little tricky w/ long things like ribs or large brisket, as you'll want to rotate the grate periodically to keep stuff from being right over the burn......

Two short chains, running opposite directions can work well........start off with the food over the non-burning area & that way, as the coals burn off, just rotate a bit & things stay away from the burn........

April22BeefPorkRibs002.jpg

See what I mean here:

April22BeefPorkRibs010.jpg

Starting over the unburnt, rotate clockwise & you're then sitting over the already burnt coal, a less heated area.....

I like to put the coals onto the pile, not next to the end, I get more reliable ignition that way. Looks like it's gonna run well. I have never run my kettle empty, always put something in there to cook, even a naked fatty. Especially a naked fatty!

Congrats on your new kettle. It's truly the Swiss Army Knife of grills!

This is such a great thread. Wife and I are closing on a house in 2 weeks, and I'm set to pick up my new to me 22.5 weber kettle Saturday when we're downtown. I think I'm more excited about the kettle than the house!

Back