What's a Primo Jr. worth?

HOG FAN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Found this in my area for sale. Asking $400 with cart. Haven't seen it in person only a couple pics. What's it worth and what to look out for?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 189
Cracks on the inside and outside cooking parts.I have no idea about worth.I do not think they have a lifetime warranty like BGE,but not sure.I hear they are solid cookers,I am told.I would offer $20o ,may go $250.max,but that is just me.Deal ain't a deal,unless it is a real deal.

A new one around here runs about 800, from looking at pics it looks clean
If it has cracks I would check with Primo to see if the lifetime warranty is transferable

Btw they are excellent cookers

Junior is 792 new on Amazon.
Is it worth half of retail??? Last I checked warranty was 25 years to original owner only non transfer. But I've not read up on it lately and I reckon Id check with Primo.

Cart?
Ceramic Deflector Plates?
Grill Grippers?
Ash Tool?
Cover?
Lump?
Condition?
Smell right?

If I had 400$ burning a hole in my pocket Id get the new Pit Barrel Cooker or most of a Compact Glock 10MM before a used ceramic with no warranty. They are different and if the person used lighter fluids or cooked weird things in it, probably not- but you see where I'm going.

Primos are awesome. I'd be a buyer at 250

Doesn't look like it's been used much so it may be a good deal. I would check and see how tightly the cast iron base that the charcoal sits on fits inside the firebox.

Primo had an issue for a while where those bases were built a bit to big and fit in too tightly. When they would get hot they would expand and crack the firebox. I had to have the firebox on my Oval XL replaced twice because of that (under warranty). Haven't had a problem since they fixed the size. You could also just grind it down if it looks to tight.

Last edited:
I would go with Adams... On the glock 29, my favorite:-D
I've seen the jr on clearance for $650(unused)... Also as stated above,
Check the accessories that come with... If you can haggle the price down.. Do it!

Please come back and let us know what you decide, final price, included accessories etc. Thanks

I've had my XL for almost 3 years, and I'm looking at my warranty. 20 years on ceramic parts, 5 years on non-ceramic parts, 30 days on the gauge and gaskets.

Warranty is non-transferrable.

If I were looking at a used one, I'd look very closely at the top, bottom, insert (firebox) and the base that sits inside the firebox for cracks. The exterior glazing will probably have checkering all over, that's normal.

If the seal needs replacing that's not really a deal-breaker, they can be had on Amazon (various materials) and there are numerous how-to videos on YouTube.

Thanks for the input, exactly why I ask the Brethren. Without knowing for sure the history of the cooker and it not being exactly what I want I am leaning towards not getting in a rush and waiting until I can by a new 400 oval.

Take a look at a Kamado joe. Great value and everything included in the purchase. I know primo you need to buy all the extras which starts to jack the price.

Back