• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hanging Ribs

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All What is the best way to hang a couple racks of ribs in WSM 22".
Would it be possible too hang them in 24 x 36 Shirley? Just curious about how they would come out by hanging them.
Thanks Dan

Weber sells a hanging kit for the WSM, you can find them on Amazon, I would suggest either making or buying SS hooks which Pit Barrel Cooker sell on their site. The WSM fish hooks aren't worth using for Ribs or other large cuts like a Pork Butt.

Weber sells a hanging kit for the WSM, you can find them on Amazon, I would suggest either making or buying SS hooks which Pit Barrel Cooker sell on their site. The WSM fish hooks aren't worth using for Ribs or other large cuts like a Pork Butt.

X2.

It shouldn't be a problem. I do it in my stacked 18.5 & 14.5.

Go to a welding supply store and buy some 308 or 316 stainless TIG rod (both food grade). It's sold "by the pound" and most places translate that to a per stick price. Cue it into 6" pieces with snips, and bend into an S shape. If you use pliers to bend it, wrap it in cloth first, so you don't leave mars that bacteria can hide in. Simple and cheap!

Hi All What is the best way to hang a couple racks of ribs in WSM 22".
Would it be possible too hang them in 24 x 36 Shirley? Just curious about how they would come out by hanging them.
Thanks Dan

Here are a few pics of my last ribs in the PBC. You will notice a bit of charring on the lower hung portions but they were just fine. I will make a few adjustments on my next cook to prevent that. I know you are asking about the WSM and Shirley but just thought I would throw this on the coals.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

Hanging

Hi All Looks like nice results, with the hanging of the ribs..Gotta give it a shot!!
THanks DanB

What is the advantage of hanging over putting them on the racks in the smoker? Is it just about getting more space for more meat? Does it improve the taste?

This is from one of my UDS's, your WSM would be real close. I could have fit more if required. Hanging in the Shirley would be similar also in the warming cabinet. Use some rebar to go from one shelf bracket across to the other.

What is the advantage of hanging over putting them on the racks in the smoker? Is it just about getting more space for more meat? Does it improve the taste?

Different flavor, mostly. I have a PBC and a WSM and the difference between the flavor of ribs between the two (using the same charcoal and wood chunks) is miles apart.

The drips really get right on the coals and fat juice sizzles up for a unique flavor.

I like both, but they are totally different enough to choose which cooker to use depending on what taste I am looking for that day.

Looking at the picture above, it is all about getting a lot of ribs done in one shot. Hanging makes sense. Thanks.

This is from one of my UDS's, your WSM would be real close. I could have fit more if required. Hanging in the Shirley would be similar also in the warming cabinet. Use some rebar to go from one shelf bracket across to the other.
I hung a boat load of quarters on this too.

Hanging ribs is my preferred way to cook them in my 18" wsm. I've done 6 full, uncut racks pretty easily. I go right over the coals and try to keep the temps around 275. I use the weber hanging rack system, I'm pretty sure they make it for the 22" wsm. I know the supplied hooks look like they won't work for anything but fish...but ive hung full racks, chicken and even 6lb slabs of pork belly with them (used 2 hooks for the belly) but there is a trick...they have 2 prongs that are supposed to hold a fish's body cavity open, use your fingers or pliers and squeeze the prong and bend them towards each other a little bit....then flip the hook upside down and impale the meat on the prongs you bent...works perfectly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 273
Hanging ribs is my preferred way to cook them in my 18" wsm. I've done 6 full, uncut racks pretty easily. I go right over the coals and try to keep the temps around 275. I use the weber hanging rack system, I'm pretty sure they make it for the 22" wsm. I know the supplied hooks look like they won't work for anything but fish...but ive hung full racks, chicken and even 6lb slabs of pork belly with them (used 2 hooks for the belly) but there is a trick...they have 2 prongs that are supposed to hold a fish's body cavity open, use your fingers or pliers and squeeze the prong and bend them towards each other a little bit....then flip the hook upside down and impale the meat on the prongs you bent...works perfectly.

Hi Thanks just what I wanted to hear!!!!
Will have to look into the Weber Hanging Rack for the 22".
DanB

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7473-Expandable-Smoking-22-Inch/dp/B00FDOOP72"]Amazon.com : Weber 7473 Expandable Smoking Rack, 22-Inch : Grill Racks : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Hi Thanks just what I wanted to hear!!!!
Will have to look into the Weber Hanging Rack for the 22".
DanB

Here you go Dan...

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7473-Expandable-Smoking-22-Inch/dp/B00FDOOP72/ref=pd_sim_86_28?ie=UTF8&dpID=41YoEogKhyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=FP4DNAVXJZHETBT6T28W"]Amazon.com : Weber 7473 Expandable Smoking Rack, 22-Inch : Grill Racks : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

I love to hang ribs. If money would allow, I still want to buy the Klose Paul Kirk model that I had the pleasure of using 14 years ago. In the meantime I can hang them in the kamado or Assassin 28.

Thanks so much! Got the hanging system last year but never had a chance to use it on my 18 WSM. Hopefully will have some time this weekend!

Back