Athens or Atlanta contests in August

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Since the Amelia Island contest was cancelled this year, I'm looking for a new contest to cook in August. According to google, the Classic City BBQ fest in Athens and the Atlanta BBQ fest are about the same drive for me in Savannah (4 hours).

So for those of you in the know, which contest would you pick?

I picked Atlanta over Athens solely because of proximity (won't have to burn a vacation day). Everything I've heard from others points toward Athens being a better contest.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Athens, hands down.

disclaimer: Athens is a GBC event, so I may be biased.

• Thanks
We're doing Athens :-D. This will be a first for us doing either, but I've heard enough from other competitors that has pushed me to Athens vs. Atlanta.

As the head cook for a team sponsored by the man that runs the Atlanta event.....I'd say Atlanta.

Having said that....They are two totally different kinds of events and I have cooked in both. The Athens event has a couple of side events going on that really don't interfere with the BBQ contest. They have indoor music and a tailgate/trade show inside the Classic Center. The last time I did the Athens event they let you get into the Classic Center after hours, this was before the trailer and that couch I found was awesome for a couple of hours.

The Atlanta event is a big city downtown festival. The foot traffic will be abundant and there is a large stage with Music going Friday night and all day Saturday. The Peoples choice at the Atlanta event is handed out at your site. My only problem with the Atlanta event is that you can't get in with your truck to load out until the festival is closed at 8pm on Saturday.

As the head cook for a team sponsored by the man that runs the Atlanta event.....I'd say Atlanta.

Having said that....They are two totally different kinds of events and I have cooked in both. The Athens event has a couple of side events going on that really don't interfere with the BBQ contest. They have indoor music and a tailgate/trade show inside the Classic Center. The last time I did the Athens event they let you get into the Classic Center after hours, this was before the trailer and that couch I found was awesome for a couple of hours.

The Atlanta event is a big city downtown festival. The foot traffic will be abundant and there is a large stage with Music going Friday night and all day Saturday. The Peoples choice at the Atlanta event is handed out at your site. My only problem with the Atlanta event is that you can't get in with your truck to load out until the festival is closed at 8pm on Saturday.

Not being able to leave until after 8 would be a deal breaker. With a 4 hour drive home, I like to get out as soon as possible after awards.

I was looking into Athens as far as the backyard competition, but man...you only get a 10'x10' space! That isn't much room!

Not being able to leave until after 8 would be a deal breaker. With a 4 hour drive home, I like to get out as soon as possible after awards.

Chad we've cooked both. Done Athens the last 2 years and it is my favorite by far.

• Thanks
Thinking out loud here....

Well now I'm torn. Our application for Atlanta was never received and I was asked to resend it last week. Atlanta is so close and convenient, but the event has some irritating issues, namely the 8pm Saturday load-out. Last time we cooked there it really sucked waiting, especially since the festival had died down so much earlier.

With so many Brethren cooking Athens, I think it will be a lot more fun for me personally (wife and friends will want ATL). Plus, Chad and Yes, Dear BBQ gracing us with their presence up on our side of the state adds another great Brethren team to hang with.

Probably a better chance at some $$$ in Atlanta. More fun in Athens...

Hmm, decisions decisions.

If we do end up heading up that way (my teammate will have a newborn in July, so it's up to his wife if we can go) it'll most likely be a rare event where we setup on Thursday night, so we'd really get a chance to hang out with all you Yankee Georgian brethren. I really hope we can make it up there.

If we do end up heading up that way (my teammate will have a newborn in July, so it's up to his wife if we can go) it'll most likely be a rare event where we setup on Thursday night, so we'd really get a chance to hang out with all you Yankee Georgian brethren. I really hope we can make it up there.

Pfft, newborn in July. That technically could be an entire month before the event! I think babies pretty much can take care of themselves by then :-D!

(Actually, I totally understand this scenario. That's why I missed Atlanta and Athens last year b/c our second son was born two weeks before.)

Pfft, newborn in July. That technically could be an entire month before the event! I think babies pretty much can take care of themselves by then :-D!

(Actually, I totally understand this scenario. That's why I missed Atlanta and Athens last year b/c our second son was born two weeks before.)

Heck, I'm trying to convince him to take Matt Barber's class in July 2 weeks after the baby is born. Hasn't worked yet.

Well now I'm torn. Our application for Atlanta was never received and I was asked to resend it last week. Atlanta is so close and convenient, but the event has some irritating issues, namely the 8pm Saturday load-out. Last time we cooked there it really sucked waiting, especially since the festival had died down so much earlier.

With so many Brethren cooking Athens, I think it will be a lot more fun for me personally (wife and friends will want ATL). Plus, Chad and Yes, Dear BBQ gracing us with their presence up on our side of the state adds another great Brethren team to hang with.

Every time I end up in Athens bad decisions are made and a ton of fun is had! :clap2: :mrgreen: We can't wait for this event.

• Thanks

Athens is an hour from Atlanta. Not that far :-D. Or you could chase that easy money :p.

• Thanks
Really leaning Athens here, plus any contest you can register and pay for online gets bonus points from me.

Back