Need help with my Butt

sully11

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Trying my first Boston butt today on an old-style Kamado grill. 8lb with dry rub. I have been able to keep the grill temp between 200-240 all day but the internal meat temp on my Maverick is heading above 180 degrees at only 7 hrs into the cook. I have tried 4 different placements for the probe, all the same.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal to cook fast sometimes? I was planning on about 10hrs so I am surprised to see it done so soon. Thoughts?

It is a butt. I recognize that this is your first time doing one but let the temp tell you what to do... Hard to mess up a butt to be honest.

Maybe you got one that didn't want to argue?

They go real smooth & don't stall long, even at a bit lower cook temps sometimes......

Enjoy your dinner !!!!

SOunds like everything is going fine to me :eusa_clap. use the bone pull test to tell when done.

It's best to cook big cuts like butts and brisket by feel. Temps will give you a general range of doneness, but each piece of meat is different and will give up at different times. Take a temp probe, a toothpick, and icepick, or something like that and see how it feels sliding into the meat - it should have a minimum of resistance, sort of like going into room temp butter. Check in a couple/few places. There is one section in particular that will give up last - I don't really know how to describe where it is, but you want to make sure that section is tender before pulling it off the cooker. It's kind of near the side where you see the bone - a few inches away from that.

As to the butt getting done ahead of time, if indeed it has - that's OK. Butts benefit from resting. I have had butts rest for many hours - up to 6 or 8 and I've heard about as long as 11. Wrap in foil tightly, then wrap with a towel or blanket, stick in a cooler. Pack the cooler with other towels, wadded up newspapers, or some other sort of insulating type thing. When you open that foil up, save whatever juices are there and integrate back into the pork.

As to the butt getting done ahead of time, if indeed it has - that's OK. Butts benefit from resting. I have had butts rest for many hours - up to 6 or 8 and I've heard about as long as 11. Wrap in foil tightly, then wrap with a towel or blanket, stick in a cooler. Pack the cooler with other towels, wadded up newspapers, or some other sort of insulating type thing. When you open that foil up, save whatever juices are there and integrate back into the pork.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to agree. I normally let mine rest for 4 hrs minimum. You'll be amazed how much easier they are to pull in doing so. Happy smoking,

-Smokey

I agree with all of the above and especially rely on the feel or probe to understand progress.

I don't see a problem here, you could also be in a stall area, and what you think is a fast cook will not be.

Just sounds like u may rest it longer which isn't a bad thing. Wrap in foil and throw in the cooler. It will be hot still when ur ready to pull it at dinner Time.

Back