Getting an additional smoker...cant decide

DBBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I started on a New Braunfels in like 1999, learned it well, hated it once I got a WSM. I have a couple WSM's now, 22 and 18, as well as a Rec Tec Pellet smoker. I am torn between an insulated vertical or a well put together offset ( I am liking lone star). I am apprehensive of the offset cause of how I had to hover around my new braunfels all the time to maintain any type of temp. Is a good offset a lot more stable?

A LSG, Shirley Fabrication or other quality offset will not give you any trouble.

a good offset might be more stable than the new braunfels but even the best ones take more attending to than even a wsm and definately more work than an insulated verticle especially if you put a temperature control system on it.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info. I am leaning towards offset, and then in a couple years insulated gravity.

Look at Shirley and LSG. Also get the warmer if you can. You getting a back yard model or trailer?

An insulated cabinet won't give results much different from your WSM, just more capacity, and maybe less fuel usage. But at the end of the day it's still another charcoal cooker.

What did you hate about the New Braunfels? Was it a vertical or horizontaln and did you try to make any mods to it?

I hated the fact I could not maintain a temp with the new braunfels. And I think the therm was way off, as it took forever to get anything done. But back then, I was so new I did not know much. I did not make any mods..this was well before lots of internet info out there. PjTexas- Getting a backyard model...

After reading the first half of Aaron Franklin's book, my next smoker will probably be an offset stick burner of some kind. He makes wood cooks sound like a lot of fun. Love my WSM, and in no hurry to change, but a guy's gotta dream...
Doubt I'd get a COS, but something decent...

LSG or Shirley like mentioned. Huge difference when you have a quality smoker especially an offset. Now you gotta decide reverse flow (Shirley) or not (LSG) Can't go wrong with either since plenty of us on here are very satisfied with both. Good Luck!

An insulated cabinet won't give results much different from your WSM, just more capacity, and maybe less fuel usage. But at the end of the day it's still another charcoal cooker.

What did you hate about the New Braunfels? Was it a vertical or horizontaln and did you try to make any mods to it?

Yes an insulated cabinet will have tons more capacity and will use significantly less fuel. Adding wood chunks to the charcoal basket in my cabinet puts out food that will rival my offset stick burner. An insulated cabinet will be pretty much well set it and forget it as opposed to constantly tending the fire on an offset. My charcoal basket hold 25 lbs. of charcoal and wood and I'm getting a little more than an hour per pound of fuel so long cooks are never a problem. If you like tinkering get yourself an offset, if you just want to light the fire, put the meat in and walk away.... consider an insulated cabinet.

Back