Trying to cook salmon from my wife's past

Mred21

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When my wife was young her family lived in Alaska she came down in 85 when she was 11 her mom smoked salmon before the move and I am trying to maybe figure out how to do it. Her mom used a little or big Chief electric smoker so it was hot smoked it had a dill taste fairly dark color and the texture was the same throughout the meat. There is no one left to ask none of her living relatives went to Alaska to visit.

It sounds like the fish were brined in a dill brine before smoking.

Keep in mind that the "Big Chief" (and "Little Chief") are designed as a flavor enhancer, or pre-smoker before going into a hot smoker or into an oven. Essentially it is a cold smoker. The temperatures inside the Big Chief / Little Chief smokers runs about 140° to 150° depending on the warm weather outside, and even substantially lower when the weather is cold.

They're simple, They're hardy, and they can get the job done. Hard to beat for smoking cheese, nuts, spices, fish, or jerky. They are basically designed to be used as a flavor enhancer / cold smoker as long as you don't try to exceed their capabilities (Volume and Temperature) they work do fine.

The "Big Chief / Little Chief" smoker will not produce large amounts of the thin blue because of it's limited size. The only combustible materials are your wood chips which burn in the wood chip tray by the heating element. When wood chips first ignite they will give off white smoke (normal for electric smokers) until they turn black and appear like little bits of charcoal. At that point you will have your invisible thin blue smoke until they turn to nothing but gray / white ashes. You cannot see the "Invisible Thin Blue Smoke" unless you have the perfect angle of light. Use you nose, if you can smell smoke it is there, if not then you can add a few more chips into the tray.

Never completely fill the chip tray with wood chips, scatter them about and leave about 50% of the bottom of the tray exposed. When your wood chips turn to 75% ash, you can then add more chips, repeat this to keep the smoking cycle going.

Fish like salmon, have it's own delicate flavor, so you don't want to over-power it with a strong smoke flavor, nor do you want to use high heat to cook it relatively quick before it can absorb the cold smoke flavors imparted into it. Lastly is the type of wood you smoke with, don't use a heavy smoke flavored wood like hickory or mesquite. Alder is probably your most preferable choice, but a light fruit wood like apple in smaller quantities would also work well.

The type of cooker you use makes all the difference in the world for your finished product.

You can achieve cold smoking the salmon with the A-Maze-N pellet smoker in your current smoker without any fire in the firebox. The next step of cooking will depend on the type of smoker you have, a stick burner may get too hot, so maybe using an oven to finish it at a lower temperature of 150-160 might be a desirable alternative to cook the fish.

If your current search and results don't get you close don't worry... it's very hard to cook something you've never had before. You can always set the standard now with some amazing smoked/grilled salmon. 8)

My wife remembers the smoker was aluminum with a rough texture that only brings the little chief to my mind. My wife said that the smoked salmon at Whole foods has the right color and texture WF is a 120 mile round trip so I plan to talk to them the next time I get down there.

My wife remembers the smoker was aluminum with a rough texture that only brings the little chief to my mind. My wife said that the smoked salmon at Whole foods has the right color and texture WF is a 120 mile round trip so I plan to talk to them the next time I get down there.

The Little Chief and Big Chief were both textured aluminum to help add strength and stability to the thin aluminum. Both also came in two models, top loading or front loading.

Sounds like you have some cooking experiments ahead of you, keep us posted.

Might not be what you're looking for but try Andi's Kippered Salmon recipe, she's from Moose Pass, Alaska. I've made it a few times and it was delicious. Doesn't have dill in it, but you could probably add some to the dry brine.

Andi's Dry Brine
1 lb canning salt
1/2 lb brown sugar
saltpeter or cure (optional by weight of salmon)
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp crushed bay leaf
1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp clove
1 tbsp mace
maple syrup (optional)

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2101038883/m/216105633

Another option may be a pickle brine with dill and then grill on a cedar plank.

I smoke a lot of salmon that is referred to as "Indian candy" which is a soy sauce, brown sugar and spice mix. Its hot smoked but on the low end of temps.

I also grill the same recipe on cedar planks.

The difference is the longer smoked version is much more dried out, and great cold on salads, crackers etc with the plank version served hot off the grill. The grilled version was also excellent (albeit moister) cold the next

Do you know if they ate it hot or cold and if it was moist or "dry".

Back