Steak au Poivre

Norm

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I think I mentioned I need adult supervision when I go to Sam's club, something about I already have plenty of meat in the freezers but they had whole tenderloins for $9.99lb. I picked out the biggest one, it looked really nice and would have come from a steer that had been fattened up past normal packer weight.

I had been dry aging it for 3 weeks and had some free time today to cut it into steaks. First I get rid of the silver skin.

i-cRhfpMs-XL.jpg

This tenderloin didn't really need much trimming other than some hard fat and bit of the chain. I save that and freeze it to grind in with a fatty cut of beef to make burgers with. I saved two out to cook and put the rest on a tray to freeze then I'll vac them for later use.

i-FxzWXKM-XL.jpg

I'm not real fussy about leaving some fat on the steaks. I don't like the ones you buy already trimmed up so much you don't get any fat at all. I also cut some thick because I like my steak rare. I'll get the CI pan really hot on the grill and just sear on both sides turning a couple of times. Then into the oven that's off covered in foil.

If the wind will die down tonight I'll finish the cook. Might be one of those midnight meals, I've got to help sort cattle later for a neighbor.

Nice tenderloin score, Norm! Looking forward to seeing your cook thread...

Steak au Poivre is one of my favorites! I am looking forward to your cook, my friend

Well it's not looking good for cooking outside tonight. Winds are still gusting to 35mph here. Neighbor called and said we'd wait until tomorrow to sort cattle. Cattle and horses don't like wind and spook too easy, I don't need to get trampled!

You know what the say about "Great Minds". I'm doing ribeyes with green madagascar peppercorn cream sauce, just fired off the Weber :clap:

That sounds really good Dave!

I got home late from the rock climbing lesson with my son and decided to do one of my midnight meals. I had a small and medium size piece of tenderloin in the fridge so I used cracked tellicherry peppercorns and fleur de sel salt heavily on them. Got the CI pan smoking hot and seared the steaks.

i-hsh6czf-XL.jpg

Asparagus is on sale for a great price so I did up a pan full for tonight and I like them in omelets too so did plenty.

i-LMrtFfn-XL.jpg

While the steaks rested I flamed the pan with a good brandy and added cream. Reduced until just lightly thickened. I was starved and had no problem devouring this plate. Made a salad to make myself feel better about being a healthy meal!

i-XjqxxDc-XL.jpg

Quick and easy to make. I had a couple of adult cocktails and watched a western on the couch afterwards.

I had a small and medium size piece of tenderloin in the fridge so I used cracked tellicherry peppercorns and fleur de sel salt heavily on them.

Sussssshhhhhh!!!!!!! You can't let everyone know my secret ingredient is Tellicherry pepper :doh:.

For $9.99 tenderloin the adult supervisor would just have to get over it if I saw that, full freezer or not. Mighty fine looking beef right there.

Thanks folks I appreciate your kind comments!

No TD's for me George, you guys are too tough of competition. :)

Yes they do especially if you buy the whole ones and grind them yourself. Best I can describe it is that it's a stronger black pepper taste profile.

Back