So how many doing an Easter Ham?

Fallen Kell

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Getting all the things I need for my twice smoked Easter ham. Couldn't get the maple syrup that I usually use, so I am hoping this New York State stuff is just as good (I do a maple bourbon ham).

Just wondering how many others will be smoking hams next weekend.

My old man wants to try a double smoked ham for easter. It was his idea, I'll be happy to oblige him.

Mine comes out of the cure on Friday, then cold smoke and bring to finishing temperatures on Saturday, and back into the smoker for dinner on Sunday...

MadMan

Do you glaze yours? If so, both smokes or just the last?

Apparently I am. I was hoping to do something else but my wife came home with a spiral ham from Trader Joe's yesterday. :tsk:

Bought my ham at Wico last week. I like cheery and hickory wood. Fresh and Easy has a really good pineapple/cherry glaze I like to use. Otherwise the orange juice and brown sugar.

We usually do, but not this year. We are going to do pulled pork. No complaints from me!

The last one i used apricot and apple and was very very pleased.

Glazed with DD's maple syrup and the glaze that comes with the spiral ham.

ham

I did a early Easter ham since I will be out if town. Smoked with cherry wood on the kettle...best ham yet!!

Attachments

• IMG_20150329_132941.jpg
    IMG_20150329_132941.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 98
Yeah I was thinking of changing up the wood I use from apple to maple (considering it is a maple ham). I do an injection of maple syrup and a maple bourbon brown sugar (with some spices) rub the day before and then make a reduction of apple and orange juice with more bourbon and a touch of honey which I use to glaze/baste the ham every 30-45 minutes.

Here is what my last one from Christmas looked like:

mSrOVbv.jpg

I'm doing mine with 1/2 cup apricot jam 1/8 cup soy at the tale end and the ham in a pan with a it of beer on the bottom. It's deadly and simple

rsQaPQJ.jpg

Well, it came out great again. This was a whole semi-boneless (the main bone was simply pushed out before they cured and smoked it the first time). I used the hole to my advantage to get more flavor deep into the ham.

Back