Best probe set up for monitoring meat temps

J&B'sBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know things change rapidly in technology, and it has been a few years since I've bought anything, so I was wondering if there is anything new and great that people are using to monitor their IT during the cooking process these days.

I use my guru for just pit temp, and I use my handy thermapen for my "probe tenderness", but I like to track with something so I know when to start checking my pork and briskets. I have mavericks and an iGrill2, and I'm not very happy with my iGrill2 right now (I didn't take my Mavericks this past weekend to Rome, and my iGrill malfunctioned all weekend :tsk:).

Anything new and exciting out there to give a look? :becky:

The iGill 2 has had issues with the probes. The unit itself is fine just certain time frames when the probes where made. Or that is what I have been told by other teams, they also said they called customer support and new replacement probes was mailed to them for what they said.

With that said my iGrill 2 has been working okay for me. But new toys are always fun and I would love to have 2 of these.

http://thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

What issues have you had with the igrill. Maybe I got mine after issues were resolved (June) but I have had no issues.

I use the guru to monitor the brisket and the igrill to monitor the two butts. I find the graph on igrill to be quite helpful

I use my guru for just pit temp, and I use my handy thermapen for my "probe tenderness", but I like to track with something so I know when to start checking my pork and briskets. I have mavericks and an iGrill2, and I'm not very happy with my iGrill2 right now (I didn't take my Mavericks this past weekend to Rome, and my iGrill malfunctioned all weekend :tsk:). :becky:

Sell your Guru and get a Stoker with an extra food probe. Very reliable and great apps to track your temps.

I use the DOT from thermoworks. Great price and easy to use and read. On sale right now for 29.95. I like the needle probe also so I don't leave a hole in my MM.

We like the ThermoWorks ThermaQ for meat temps.

It is more accurate than a CyberQ and the needle probes are so thin you will never know they were there.

Why not use the guru to monitor meat temps too? We use the cyberQ for ours. I did see someone using three thermoworks DOT's and it looked like a pretty good system.

CyberQ is nice with the 3 food probes.

Dont really care about the "Accuracy" as its only a guidline to start checking the meat for us and Im guessing most here as well.

I use 4 dots
I like that they're simple to use, just an up and down button, and they're reliable.

Anything new and exciting out there to give a look? :becky:
Tappecue
cool, accurate and WAAAAY overpriced!
but it works, although it looks like it was made in my garage... cheap probes too.
By the other hand, the waterproof case is well made

Thermoworks Chef and Dot's in action last weekend. They have been
pretty tuff so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 211
because the DOT only allows for one probe.
:wink:
.. i know, i have 2 of them, black and white, and a bunch of probes.
Still, rather easy to check one probe at the time with one DOT, as long as you know which one is which. ChefAlarm is wifey's 'property", can't be touched w/o suffering severe body harm.
(btw, DOT and probes is on sale now)

What issues have you had with the igrill. Maybe I got mine after issues were resolved (June) but I have had no issues.

I use the guru to monitor the brisket and the igrill to monitor the two butts. I find the graph on igrill to be quite helpful

I am iGrill2 #3 due to my issues, and they're with the unit, not the probes. My unit will read false temperatures on ports that have no probe plugged in. Then the probes will read a different temp in every port, and none of them are accurate, but in my other unit they will read correct (again, not the probe). The inconsistencies I've had with the units (they are great about replacing them), makes me nervous to use them at all.

I do use my guru for pit temp, but I only have one meat spot and I monitor my brisket and two butts, so I need more space.

I'll take a look at what everyone has suggested. Thanks!

I have Thermoworks, , iGrill and Mavericks. The Thermoworks and iGrill have always worked great. The iGrill app is excellent for tracking through out cook. The Mavericks I received were junk from day one.

Back