In your opinion?

305Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is the best store-bought sauce. I am in South Florida, just as a regional (but not limited to) option.

As far as sweet goes I like Blues Hog original. Vinegar style I like Blues Hog Tenn Red and George's hot.

For store bought sauce, I would say Texas-Texas good to the bone, is probably the best, but I am sure it is regional. Not overly sweet, and full of savory flavor.

The next best sauce would be "Stubbs" which can be found everywhere, and comes in many styles. Original or Mild is what I use most for groups, but they also have spicy and sweet heat as well.

Next on the list is Head Country with a similar profile, available in some Sam's Clubs stores.

If you like sweet, the the suggestion of Sweet Baby Rays is good, as well as Dinosaur BBQ Sauce, and Garland Secret Six.

There are so many choices, try some of them and find a favorite.

The one I concoct from all the stuff I buy at the store Depending on the meat du jor. I buy no food that is built in a factory I buy ingredients.

I tend to go with Stubbs or Sweet Baby Rays but I always doctor them up with other stuff to fit my needs.

Store-bought sauce...what the hell?!?! Google some sauce recipes, try a few, then modify them to suit your taste. You'll never use sauce from a bottle again.

Sweet Baby Rays seems to be the most popular with most of my cooks. I like Famous Daves Rich & Sassy especially in my baked beans. After a cooking class with Dizzy Pig they turned me on to Eat BBQ nice stuff. All seem popular but not as much as SBRs. Dickens BBQ (Hot) is pretty nice also. But my personal favourite is Craigs Home Style MED from DeValls Bluff AR. Especially on pulled pork. I ate my frist Craigs in 1972 and still enjoy it. Not everyone likes it though. Just my 2 cents.

sgm2004
TS-120
2 Ea Smoken Pits
BBQTEK

My real favorite is little or NO SAUCE! That means I did a good cook.

The deal is cooking for others and your average Joe will probably like a sweet Baby Ray sauce (which is why they're so popular and available cheaply in restaurant supply stores) and often the pit boss will flavor it in addition to that.

I've made my own several times and like it for my tastes but if cooking for others it's usually the desire for similar to Rays kind of flavor - sweet!

I also dig some Memphis dry rub ribs I think this one is more of a question of what your average Marylou and Ralph are used to if trying to please a crowd and that's usually the store bought favs, unfortunately.

Do competition cooks use the same sauce as they serve to their customers? I have no idea since I can't judge comp but eat what's sold. I always figure its a bit more complex than out of a bottle but would love to know.

I guess that's another thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
For "available practically everywhere" mass-market site bought sauce, Stubb's Original is my favorite. For a bit more regional, but still available in a large amount of stores, I think Head Country is hard to beat.

Sweet Baby Rays - Sweet Vidalia Onion
Bone Sucking Sauce. Runs thin.
Toms Guava BBQ Sauce. Got it at Whole Foods.

I like it sweet and wet.

I'll echo the same as a lot of others: I prefer the one that we make, but if we have to go with boughten, it goes by this list.

Famous Dave's Sweet and Spicy
Sweet Baby Ray's
Bullseye Original
KC Masterpiece

But making your own helps tune it for your own tastes. It also helps if you have a wife who has converted a closet to a pantry and has stores of spices on hand for tinkering with.

Bullseye original doesn't suck. Their ingredients are fairly natural compared to many of the other cheapo brands, though I haven't actually tried Stubbs.

Tried to make my own several times, then I tried Blues Hog Original. Enough said

Back