Thoughts on 250 gallon offset

MatthewC

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I know I have asked several questions about a 250 gallon build. Before I cut my tank I am pondering ideas. My question is my tank is 8 feet long and 30 inches in diameter. If I cut 2 foot off one end and drop it down as my offset firebox. That would leave a 6 foot cooking chamber. Running through the calculator this gives me enough volume for firebox. Anyone done this or have opinions on this?

I have on of a similar size that is just over 6 foot long and 32 inches in diameter. I would not have a problem if it was two foot longer since I do not have use of the domed ends anyway. Right now my shelves are just under 5 foot long, so somewhere around six plus would be great for those times I actually max it out. For me with a cooker this size I won't cook just a pork butt or two. If I am going to spend hours cooking I am going to load it up.

I think that is great plan; 72"X30" in a RF configuration should yeild a main cooking grate of at least 66"X28" and a second grate about 66"X24", maybe longer if you go with a traditional offset design. That's a chitload of cooking realestate; my RF has a 23"X 54" main grate and, for example, I can do a 135# whole hog racer style.

Another benefit to this for me is the trailer that I have is 8 feet from fender to fender. I think it would be nice to turn the cooker crossways and set it over the axle and then I would cook and add wood from the back of the trailer instead of from the side over the tire.

Back