First time using lump, what should I know?

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm about to smoke a butt and some chicken tomorrow. I've only ever used blue Kingsford in my WSM before. Is there anything I need to know? Should I use less wood?

It can burn a little hotter than briquettes, you will need to pay attention at first. Other than that, no, it will be great. Oh, because it is irregular in shape, you may want to pay a little more attention when loading in the charcoal.

Use the same amount of wood as you have been using.

Lump will pack down pretty easy under a gloved fist. I like to do that.

There may be a little more ash flyig around but there will be much less ash in the bottom of your smoker when the cook is over .

Use the same amount of wood as you have been using.

Lump will pack down pretty easy under a gloved fist. I like to do that.

There may be a little more ash flyig around but there will be much less ash in the bottom of your smoker when the cook is over .

Less ash sounds so AMAZING! :clap2: Tired of cleaning out a pound of ash per smoke. lol

Don't know how it works in a wsm, but in my drums it runs about the same as kbb. Lots less ash as stated above.

Two things (besides what was stated above):

First, because it's actual wood, when you're done with the cook and close all the vents to shut down your smoker, you will find whatever lump (chunks) remains will be good for your next cook.

Second, some people will use a screen, or screens (on a wheelbarrow, etc.) to filter out the sizes so they are using consistent pieces. This also helps you to eliminate the odd rock that sometimes finds it way into a bag of lump.

Happy cooking and we'll look forward to pics.

JoeMap

I used some Ozark lump the other night and it crackled and sparked a little bit at first.

You can get some sparks and the temp can be a little less consistent so keep an eye on it. I think food tastes better when you use lump. Also brands can really vary, so try different ones.

You can get some sparks and the temp can be a little less consistent so keep an eye on it. I think food tastes better when you use lump. Also brands can really vary, so try different ones.

What's this I keep hearing about sparks? I don't see why this is a problem, its the dead of winter lol.

I'm using Royal Oak if that matters and I'm definitely a little worried now that you said more of a variation of temps. I'm slightly OCD about my temps lol

Watch for sparks..

I used some Ozark lump the other night and it crackled and sparked a little bit at first.

What's this I keep hearing about sparks? I don't see why this is a problem, its the dead of winter lol.

I'm using Royal Oak if that matters and I'm definitely a little worried now that you said more of a variation of temps. I'm slightly OCD about my temps lol

Yeah, sparks......sometimes you can get sparks......

EndAug2012Wok040.jpg

Just cap it off & drive on......

EndAug2012Wok041.jpg

I'm using Royal Oak if that matters and I'm definitely a little worried now that you said more of a variation of temps. I'm slightly OCD about my temps lol[/QUOTE]

I like steady temps also, I couldn't get it with RO lump in my UDS. Switched to Stubbs briq and temp steadied right out. I never really packed the lump tightly in the basket though, that may have worked. Good luck!

I like steady temps also, I couldn't get it with RO lump in my UDS. Switched to Stubbs briq and temp steadied right out. I never really packed the lump tightly in the basket though, that may have worked. Good luck![/QUOTE]

2 things...don't be concerned about temp fluctuation--you'll still make good food, even if your temps change a bit. Second, I use RO lump in my WSM all the time, and it generally holds temps like a champ.

oh, and one other thing I don't think I saw mentioned, but you may go through the lump a bit quicker than the briqs.

I like steady temps also, I couldn't get it with RO lump in my UDS. Switched to Stubbs briq and temp steadied right out. I never really packed the lump tightly in the basket though, that may have worked. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. So I'm going to have to pack this stuff to get somewhat of a consistent temp?

I like steady temps also, I couldn't get it with RO lump in my UDS. Switched to Stubbs briq and temp steadied right out. I never really packed the lump tightly in the basket though, that may have worked. Good luck!

Ah, ok. So I'm going to have to pack this stuff to get somewhat of a consistent temp?[/QUOTE]

I think packing it will do more for your burn time. I don't always pack it carefully, and generally get really steady temps.

I only use lump but thats in my Primo and tried many brands that being said, cheap lump like Cowboy, Frontier, etc will spark and don't be surprised if you find pieces of trash in the bags (like pieces of plywood). Once i tried a 20lb bag of Bayou Classic and it had 5 pounds of briquettes in it :shocked:. I mostly use Ozark Oak and haven't found any thing but great pieces of lump in the bag :thumb:

Ah, ok. So I'm going to have to pack this stuff to get somewhat of a consistent temp?

I think packing it will do more for your burn time. I don't always pack it carefully, and generally get really steady temps.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to, I never do. I just use it however it comes. Works fine.

Wicked good or Kamado Joe are good ones also to use. I got 8 hrs @ 275 the other day and the basket was about 3/4 full on my 18.5 WSM. I think you'll like it.

Back