Orange-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers (w/pix)

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
20150118_Shrimp.jpg

I fired up my Kamado Joe Classic this evening to try out one of the recipes in Chris Lilly's new "Fire & Smoke" book. The recipe was titled "Yuzu Shrimp Skewers" but I was unable to find Yuzu juice at my local markets. I substituted orange juice in its place and the results were OUTSTANDING!

I got a pound of 26-30ct shrimp and peeled & deveined them and left the tails on. The marinade is as follows:

5 tablespoons orange juice
1/4 cup honey
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
4 teaspoons sesame oil
4 teaspoons srirach chili sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic

I wisked all that together until the honey was completely dissolved in the mix. I added the shrimp to the mixing bowl and tossed it in the sauce and let it marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.

I had my Kamado Joe set up for direct cooking but had my grill rack in the elevated position. I had the dome temp at around 500°. I grilled these shrimp on soaked bamboo skewers for 2 minutes per side and they were cooked to perfection!

The flavor is phenomenal. There is just a tad of heat to these but it doesn't come around until you have eaten a few of the shrimp!

I can't wait to try this same marinade on some fish!

That looks delicious. I may have to go pick up some prawns from the fish market and follow your lead for tonight's dinner...

Beautiful looking shrimp. I'm not a big fan of curry but it sounds delish. I would imagine that would work with chicken wings as well.

Beautiful looking shrimp. I'm not a big fan of curry but it sounds delish. I would imagine that would work with chicken wings as well.

You can certainly leave the curry out and I bet it would make for an interesting wing sauce also!

The look really good, John. Thanks for the recipe! :grin:

Shrimp be lookin fine! I've saved this recipe and will use it in the very near future. I'm on randomly lately and glad I ran across your post JM!

Those look grate !!!

Flavor sounds pretty nice...something the wife would really like & shrimp's about the only fish she'll eat....winner !!

Thanks again !!

my wife would love this recipe and I'm always on the lookout for a new and interesting appetizer. Thanks for this!

That recipe looks like it would make for a good salmon glaze. I think I'll have to give it a try.

That recipe looks like it would make for a good salmon glaze. I think I'll have to give it a try.

I think it would work well on about any kind of fish... I'm gonna try it again this weekend on something but not sure what just yet...

Back