Dickie's BBQ

LongTong

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does this place have good BBQ? I'm always excited when a new joint opens in town.

(Laguna Niguel, CA) Dickey’s Barbecue chairman, Roland Dickey will visit California to celebrate the opening of the brand’s newest location in Laguna Niguel. The new fast casual barbecue option opens on Thursday, January 15 with a three-day grand opening. Mr. Dickey stops by on Friday to hand out free copies of his cookbook, [ame]Mr. Dickey’s Barbecue Cookbook[/ame].
“We’re thrilled to have Mr. Dickey in Laguna Niguel celebrating our new location and our guests will love meeting the man behind the barbecue,” said multi-unit owner, Stephen Huerth. “We opened our first location in 2013 and we’ve loved working with the Dickey’s brand and getting to know the community.”
Thursday, January 15

• The first 50 dine in guests receive gift cards ranging between $5 and $50.
Friday, January 16

• From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mr. Dickey stops by to hand out 100 autographed cookbooks. During the event, one lucky winner will be chosen for a $500 gift card and three winners will receive free barbecue for an entire year. Guests can grab [URL="http://www.dickeys.com/menu"]$2 pulled pork barbecue sandwiches
  • . Radio station Go Country 105 will also be on-site.
Saturday, January 17

• Guests can beef up their barbecue gear when the store offers t-shirts, koozies, sunglasses and more.
The Huerths also own the Dickey’s Barbecue in Brea. The new restaurant in Laguna Niguel is located at 27931 La Paz Road and the phone number is 949.349.0346. Stay up-to-date with this location on Facebook.

BBQ is a very tough franchise business because there is a bit too much art to it. That said, the recipes and methods at a Famous Dave's or Dickey's are good enough to serve some pretty decent Q. Whether are not the local owners actually do that is another story.

The Sweet tea use to be good till they poisned it and dam near kilt a woman, the jalapeños and Ice cream aint bad but if it's BBQ you want I'd P/u a Tub of LLoyds & save the trip. Waco Tx is not known for great BBQ except for Tony Demerias the DICK'ys that opened there lasted less than 6 months. I tried it once I had to ask the manager where the pit was he looked at me like I had 3 heads Macdonalds makes better BBQ in the macrib.

Tried the new store here in Bel Air, MD.
Not bad, nice portions. Satisfied my craving. Not brethren quality though.

Home of the Yellow cup, I have a decent collection of them, only been there once during the day, BBQ was ok but not good, however if that location is offering a breakfast menu like ours here does, both the pulled pork and brisket make really good breakfast burritos, get one at least once a week.

The one in our area isn't worth spending your money on. It's overpriced and it is low end bbq compared to what you probably could do at your house. But other than that it's great. :-D

If you consider McDonalds to be an acceptable burger, you'd probably be ok with Dickeys. That said, I have only tried 2 different locations in 1 state. Since relocated back to the left coast, I should try one here to be fair.

I've had their BBQ several times... it's just meh...

I'd much rather have Famous Dave's if I'm having franchise BBQ.

They had one in the mall here that didn't last 6 months. I went once and the pulled pork was dry, the jalapeno beans were ok, the onion tangles were great, as well as the jalapeno cheese sausage.

I live in Garland, about 2 minutes from a Dickey's and have had it no more than twice. DONT order the brisket is all I am saying...

Here's a review of the Dickie's near us I posted on Yelp a while back.

Tried Dickey's for takeout. When we opened the bag at home we discovered they had not given us our brisket and one of our sides. We called with the thought they might send us a certificate to make things right. Instead they told us to drive back to pick up what they missed. This was during a 6" snowstorm.

The ribs are were overdone with little smoke flavor. The side we did get was potato salad. It tasted like something you would get at a grocery store, but had the consistency of mashed potatoes, terrible.

Never again.

Par for the course

OK. I haven't had decent Brisket since my last judged comp. last October so I was long overdue. Today was opening day and stopped by at 1:00PM and all seats were taken and about 10 in line. So, I came back at 2:30 and the place was empty? Not a good sign. So here's what I got for $35.00

A pound of sliced Brisket. I asked for the fatty stuff or the point and the chimp didn't know what I was talking about until some other fella chimed in and said OK. It was dry and overcooked and not a lot of beef flavor. Bark was dark but soft and had a decent smoke ring. About a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. Maybe...

I half rack of pork ribs. Looked to be a St. Louie cut. Tenderness was nice and almost fall off the bone but again, not a lot of flavor...Again, maybe a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. So, the BBQ is just average! - Maybe...

Small mac and cheese. Pretty good nice creamy, cheesy, and buttery flavor.

One big yellow cup of Dr. Pepper.

That's it!

Sausages looked good and will have to try. I did receive two coupons good for two weeks for a 1/4 plate with purchase of a drink. Will try the chicken and sausages with those and maybe another side or two.

Sauces were remarkably good...

Tomorrow, I will go back for the $2 pork sandwiches and the signed cookbook by Mr. Dickey.

After all that, I may not be back as it is just average and overpriced. Come on folks, it's just BBQ...

With that said. I only give this joint a 50/50 chance of surviving...

Judging by the one close to my mother's house... No, they do not have good bbq. :(

My standards might be high, but the brisket is always so dried out and overcooked. The only thing that I can stomach is the pulled pork.

Mista's

Just go to Big Mista's in Long Beach ...

Of course! Big difference is a 45 minute drive without traffic, obviously well worth it, versus 4.5 minutes, not worth the drive. I did see a nice slab of a CAB Brisket at the local Smart and Final yesterday with a thick and narrow flat with a big fat point for around $60. I might just go back tomorrow morning and hope it's there for this weekend's Brisket done right...

I recently ate at the one in Eastville(by Norco). I got the three meat combo, brisket, spares and pulled pork. Brisket was good, ribs were ok but I got three from the small end and pulled pork was good. I enjoyed it. Note: ask for ribs from the middle.

How south are ya? There is Smoqued in Orange and Blakes Place in Anaheim. Both are very good.
OK. I haven't had decent Brisket since my last judged comp. last October so I was long overdue. Today was opening day and stopped by at 1:00PM and all seats were taken and about 10 in line. So, I came back at 2:30 and the place was empty? Not a good sign. So here's what I got for $35.00

A pound of sliced Brisket. I asked for the fatty stuff or the point and the chimp didn't know what I was talking about until some other fella chimed in and said OK. It was dry and overcooked and not a lot of beef flavor. Bark was dark but soft and had a decent smoke ring. About a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. Maybe...

I half rack of pork ribs. Looked to be a St. Louie cut. Tenderness was nice and almost fall off the bone but again, not a lot of flavor...Again, maybe a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. So, the BBQ is just average! - Maybe...

Small mac and cheese. Pretty good nice creamy, cheesy, and buttery flavor.

One big yellow cup of Dr. Pepper.

That's it!

Sausages looked good and will have to try. I did receive two coupons good for two weeks for a 1/4 plate with purchase of a drink. Will try the chicken and sausages with those and maybe another side or two.

Sauces were remarkably good...

Tomorrow, I will go back for the $2 pork sandwiches and the signed cookbook by Mr. Dickey.

After all that, I may not be back as it is just average and overpriced. Come on folks, it's just BBQ...

With that said. I only give this joint a 50/50 chance of surviving...

Nice barrel

How south are ya? There is Smoqued in Orange and Blakes Place in Anaheim. Both are very good.

How far South? A stone throws away from Salt Creek. Bad To The Bone was kinda good in Clemente and SJC but heard the owner passed a year or two ago. R.I.P.

I've wanted to try both of those N. county joints you mentioned and will have to make an effort...

I have eaten at one Dickey's and would not go back. As others have said, it's not the worst BBQ I've ever had, but it's nothing to write home about.

Famous Dave's is far better if your only options are franchises. In fact, it's better than many non-franchise BBQ joints I've been to.

Back