Thinking Seriously About Buying a Beef Critter on the Hoof.

If you haven't read this, it will give you pause. And yes, it does have some age on it, but it has to be pretty accurate today.

I can see buying a half or a quarter through a reputable butcher/supplier but to think that doing it from scratch? Not for the faint of heart. And for the people who want the"Reader's Digest" version, an approximately 1000 lb animal, which in all indications was a pretty good selection by the author, gave him....$30 in profit. This is NOT a game for the frugal but for the person who wants to know exactly what their protein has endured and doesn't mind the expense. One or two animals is like......silly, IMO.

I did indeed read the entire article and yes, it gave me pause. My thinking and reason in the OP was to try to find a source of high quality beef at a reasonable price. What I've gleaned from all the input by the great folks here is that I will not save much at all in the raising of a beef critter and the margins for the ones that do are low right now until the national herd is brought back up after the natural disasters that have occurred over the last years. I was after some prime grade beef for less than $5-6 a pound. Not looking like that will be possible these days. I'm not willing to pay $200 for a brisket for example being a back yard BBQ'er.

All that means is that I'll keep my steak knifes sharper so the lower grade meat cuts easier. :becky:

I must say that I have a whole new respect for the folks that make a living raising these critters.

A Big Thank You to the Ranchers and folks in the industry on this site!

If you feed it beer and massage it daily, I heard that you can get a very nice end product. Saw it on TV once.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20553285/beer-mash-fattening-cows-trimming-costs-colorado

Explosive growth in Colorado's craft-brewing industry produces not only more beer, but more beer byproducts.
That means the hamburger you eat next week may come from a steer happily fed last week with brewing leftovers.

Using spent grains for livestock feed dates to the advent of beer. But with corn and other commodity prices sky high, feedyards increasingly are using brewing byproducts to help fatten cattle in preparation for slaughter.

If you feed it beer and massage it daily, I heard that you can get a very nice end product. Saw it on TV once.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20553285/beer-mash-fattening-cows-trimming-costs-colorado

Explosive growth in Colorado's craft-brewing industry produces not only more beer, but more beer byproducts.
That means the hamburger you eat next week may come from a steer happily fed last week with brewing leftovers.

Using spent grains for livestock feed dates to the advent of beer. But with corn and other commodity prices sky high, feedyards increasingly are using brewing byproducts to help fatten cattle in preparation for slaughter.
So, Colorado serves their cows and they get beer bellies faster? I guess that works. Now in California, they say they have "happy cows". Hmm, I wonder what California is known for growing that would make them happy?:biggrin1:

And since they get a bad case of the munchies, they get fat faster also. Sounds like California is the place they want to be.

freezer beef

I'd go with buying straight from the producer due to the economies of scale associated with feeding out cattle. Here in the midwest I'm getting around $1.70 - $1.85 on the hoof. Processing is $48 kill fee + .48/lb on hanging weight.

Here's a link to a great spreadsheet from UK which will show you how much you are saving vs. buying retail: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/KyMeat/pubs/web_beef_cutout.xls

You can also check with local beef cattleman's association: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Caddo-Bossier Parish [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pres: Marty Wooldridge
P O Box 308, Oil City, LA 71061
(H) 318-995-0090
(C) 318-207-7126
[/FONT]Caddo Parish Beef Producer

Good luck.

Lots of good things have been posted up here, most of it right on the button. You can raise a few head (always need more than one for social reasons as keeping cattle happy and stress free = better meat). You want good fences, as the saying goes: Good fences make good neighbors. All it takes is having a couple of frisky feeling 500 lb. steers frolicking through your neighbors garden to make for a 'long' day.

Feeding is very important: depending on the age of the animal and how you're getting it, grass and hay base feeding with increasing amounts of grain/silage put on the pounds. Having space for the animals to move around is important as they need exercise to build good muscle and keep them from getting sloppy fat. We always finished our calves on grain (oats) or a mix of oats and field peas.

The only reason I talk about this is that the people that say you should visit your Extension Agent are correct. They'll have the best information on what's available locally and they might even be able to take a look at where you're planning on feeding the animal to give you some hints. Personally, I'll echo some that say checking out FFA / 4H programs locally and going that approach supports local youth and agricultural programs.

On breeds: Dairy breeds are bred for just that, producing milk. Bull calves are byproducts, most of the time and are better sources for veal as younger = more tender. As beef breeds go, one is really as good as another. I'm partial to black angus, but that's because we raised them for so long.:p Grass fed / grain finished for the win!

As a rule, go for a beef breed, forget hide color and focus on how they're fed, treated, and raised. That's what we do, by the way. Raise them. They're babies and we raise them up for one purpose and it's a great thing, knowing where your food comes from and the process. Good luck to you if you decide to jump in.

By the way, the glossy hide look comes from being healthy and getting a great diet, we used to refer to it as being 'all slicked up', and their is nothing prettier!!!

Back