Family in town. Need ideas for a cook!

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So my dad and step mom are coming to town this weekend to see their grandkids (my 8 and 5 year old). Going to make Saturday night dinner. Anyhow, would've made a standing rib roast in the Traeger if they came down at Christmas. Dont really want to do that now, although I guess I could. Any ideas? Brisket perhaps? Ive only done one in the past and it was ok, if a little dry. My girlfriend and her daughter will be there as well. Total of 4 adults and 3 kids.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

You could smoke a corned beef to make some pastrami. Also wings are always fun. If you want to keep beef in the mix you can cook a chuckie like a butt and pull it for sandwiches and they are smaller and don't take as long.

Why not some pulled pork sammiches with some home made slaw? Sometimes the simplest approach is the best.

Pulled pork may be the trick. Although I do have 2 tri tips in the freezer, I havent done a butt in quite a while.

I'm a fan of smoked turkey. Do they like fish? Some fresh ahi sashimi would be a great appetizer, along with grilled oysters!

I would say if your first inclination was to do a prime rib, that is what I would do. Sounds like it is well within your comfort zone. I think that is a cook that is appreciated any time, not just holidays.

I cooked a Center Cut Pork Roast yesterday that was exquisite...not as expensive as a Rib Roast, but pretty darn good nonetheless. Brined it for 24hrs before cooking. Wife and kiddies loved it.

Last edited:
CSHiek - that is one fantastic looking roast - hope there was some pink in the middle.

I would normally be the first to suggest brisket, but since you don't seem to be confident of your brisket game, no need to stress yourself. I would agree on pulled pork. Easy and always good! Enjoy the family time!!!:thumb:

Do some mac and cheese on the smoker... Those youngins will love it... As well as adults
I vote pork butt.. Or a pork tenderloin.... Never seen a youngin frown on a juicy burger either

Good suggestions so far. My initial thought was pulled pork. It's pretty forgiving, can feed a bunch of people and there are a lot of folks that really like it.

Smoked turkey is delicious as well. If going that route, would suggest brining prior to cooking.

Unfortunately, when I think of turkey, I NEED to have the sides...mashed taters, cornbread stuffing with sausage, gravy, green bean casserole. So, personally, I'd probably leave turkey to a time when I have the time to do the whole thing.

Smoked meat loaf is fabulous and easy. Totally different animal when smoked compared to baked.

Smoked mac and cheese is fabulous and easy.

Wampus championship peach bourbon beans are easy, filling, and tasty.

Could do MOINKs and ABTs to start off the meal.

Good luck with the cook!

Bruce

How about spatchcocked chicken? Make a few. Relatively easy and cheap to. When done right best chicken you will ever eat. Give a half of a chicken to everyone it makes a pretty good meal. Beer can chicken but you can substitute pop instead. I like lighter color pops. Dump half can into a glass and stick the can right up the birds pooper. Season with a little weber's kicken' chicken seasoning little olive oil on it to brown the skin.

Thanks everyone! Such great suggestions and I will try them all at some point!

Thinking the butt and Mac and cheese. Anyone have a good Mac and cheese recipe? Or do I just buy a tray from a deli and heat it up in the smoker towards the end of the butt cook?

I cooked a Center Cut Pork Roast yesterday that was exquisite...not as expensive as a Rib Roast, but pretty darn good nonetheless. Brined it for 24hrs before cooking. Wife and kiddies loved it.

Looks spectacular? How did you do it?

Blu's Oooey Gooey Mac & Cheese

Ingredients

1/2 box pasta
1 pint whole milk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 Tbl corn starch
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning ( I like Slap Ya Momma )
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1/4 tsp Fresh grated Nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1tsp onion powder
3/4 cup grated colby jack
3/4 cup grated mild cheddar+ 1/2 cup reserved
2" off a brick of velveta cubed into 3/4 cubes
12 oz water

Directions

Butter a 9X13 pan
Put the dry pasta in the pan.
Put everything but the pasta into the blender and run on high for 2 min
Pour the cheese shake over the pasta
Spread the 1/2 cup cheddar on top
Bake in a pre-heatd 375 deg oven covered for 60 min then uncover for 20 more.

Blu's Oooey Gooey Mac & Cheese

Ingredients

1/2 box pasta
1 pint whole milk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 Tbl corn starch
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning ( I like Slap Ya Momma )
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1/4 tsp Fresh grated Nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1tsp onion powder
3/4 cup grated colby jack
3/4 cup grated mild cheddar+ 1/2 cup reserved
2" off a brick of velveta cubed into 3/4 cubes
12 oz water

Directions

Butter a 9X13 pan
Put the dry pasta in the pan.
Put everything but the pasta into the blender and run on high for 2 min
Pour the cheese shake over the pasta
Spread the 1/2 cup cheddar on top
Bake in a pre-heatd 375 deg oven covered for 60 min then uncover for 20 more.

This looks great - I'm gonna give it a try. So you don't cook the pasta first?

Back