Pork loin weight loss?

mikeleonard81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I love cooking pork loins! Matter of fact it was the very first thing i smoked 15 years ago. I've got a client looking to feed 200pp and wants pork loin. But I don't know what to quote him at because of all the pork loins I have ever cooked I have never paid attention to weight loss after the cook. I remove the silver before cooking so I can adjust packing weight after that but what will be the yield after smoking? I hope one of you can give me a % weight loss. Thank you!

While I don't cater, but have cooked for a couple groups of 50 or so people (pork loin and whole chicken), I used 85% yield on loins. It has allowed plenty of leftover at 1/3 lb per person. This is also assuming cooking to between 140-145*.

This also depends on how thick your final slices will be cut to. If you cut them about 1/2", that's one slice per person. I have always cut thin, ~3/8", as people were free to serve themselves and it seemed to work well.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I Protest!

I thought this was a thread about a new diet plan where you only ate pork loin. Where's that thread? :wink:

I've always budgeted 80% yield on loin after trimming excess fat. I slice at about 1/4" and let people take as much as they want off the buffet. My catering manager observed a few months ago that we seem to always have lots of loin left over... So maybe 85% is a better assumption.

I've always budgeted 80% yield on loin after trimming excess fat. I slice at about 1/4" and let people take as much as they want off the buffet. My catering manager observed a few months ago that we seem to always have lots of loin left over... So maybe 85% is a better assumption.

If you are slicing it at 1/4", I have found that averages 1-1.5 oz. In a buffet setting people will generally just take 1 or 2 slices. Not sure what you are using for each person to have, but I have found that 85% is close to average.

Thanks for all the responses! The client wants a quarter pound pp so this will give me a number to give him. Thanks again!

Back