Royal sausage and sides

Atlasman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just a general question for those that have competed and hopefully scored well in the past at The Royal in the additional categories.......no details or secrets or recipes, just experience based advice.

We tend to overthink the room (even at local contests) but especially The Royal. We have tried to WOW the judges with complex dishes that were visually stunning, creative and "out of the box" as well as obviously delicious. Not sure we always accomplished that goal but we tried LOL.

Obiously we talk to a lot of teams as everyone does and I just have heard too many stories of "we got 5th last year with a johnsonville/bob evans fatty" or "got a call with some jazzed up bushs grilling beans" to ignore them or pass them off as ALL tall tales over too many beers.

I think we need to stop making dishes like we are on Chopped and just focus on a good basic yet great tasting category dish. Our dishes haven't tanked but just muddled around decent score wise.

Are you guys doing better with your dishes at The Royal when you pull out all the bells and whistles like some Iron Chef or have your bare bones, basic yet tasty dishes done just as well or better??

Or is it just the absurd crapshoot that is The Royal and the massive amount of entries and judges will always produce a randomness that is beyond worrying about??

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your biggest problem in Royal ancillaries is a full less than alert judge. Mike Lake all but shames and forces all judges to stay for another round of gluttony.
In his defense he does need to keep 'em all in place.
The only ray of sunshine is desert, everybody looks forward to the spectacle.
After my first year of stuffing I learned to find a table captain from the mains and switch with him for the rest. I always got a taste of goodies anyway.
Ed

Please accept this comment from a judge who has judged the AR several times - including all the ancillary categories.

Appearance is the lowest criterion that judges score, meaning that you must nail the Taste and Tenderness in order to have a shot.
Bells & whistles are okay, but with a one-bite test, it comes down to "most flavorful" - not necessarily "most complex".

Back