Saucing chicken method

enasnidx

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those willing to share, what method are you using to sauce your chicken? I currently use a foil loaf pan with just enough sauce to submerge a thigh. But I hate how much sauce is left over in the pan that I'm not willing to reuse with all that chicken grease in it. I've tried using a squirt bottle to apply but it's kind of a pain and the coverage isn't quite as good or even. Any other shape or sized bowls or pans working for others? Bonus points for disposables.

I use two small loaf pans and pour sauce back and forth over thighs. 14-16oz of sauce is all it takes for 16 thighs for me.

I have a mini crockpot I warm the sauce in. I use a potato masher that I have cut one arm off to hold the chicken on as I dunk it in the crock pot. I then slide the chicken off of the potato masher on to a drying rack. I know it sounds crazy but it works for me.

Never thought of the tater masher

I use a 1/6 steamer pan, and a Pig Tail Food Flipper.

Dunk and lay on a rack.

Left over sauce gets bottled and into fridge.

Tongs like this photo I found are what we used with Thighs to dunk as you could grab opposite corners easily and all the chicken got dunked and coated. Could easily shake excess off without fear of dropping. Normal tongs can obviously grab to much chicken and leave a bare spot. Had to bend them out a little to make a wider grip, but found some at the dollar store.

6LIBalMl.png

Use a small sauce pan and dunk. But you are correct about the waste. Nature of the beast I guess, just like everything else we do.

The key is to find a small around but deep container to maximize how much is needed to be able to dunk.

Wait wait wait wait

It just dawned on me...competition cooks cook how much meat to make one little turn-in box? I have seen guys cook 2 briskets, 3 butts, 5 racks of ribs, and who knows how much chicken...and you're worried about wasting a pan of SAUCE?!?

LoL

Sorry...just gave me a little chuckle when I thought about it.

Sort of reminded me of friends of mine who go offshore fishing on $200k boats, with $15k in electronics, $10k in fishing rods, and spend $500+ on fuel & expenses every time they go out...but then want to buy the cheapest, most crappy bait they can find to save $0.50

Again, just got a chuckle out of it once I actually thought about it. I don't do comps. But if I did, I'd be one of those guys cooking a 6 pack of chicken thighs, 1 butt, 1 brisket, and a rack of ribs...and then be worried I could afford the gas to get home! That be me all day!!!

I used to use a small pan or large coffee cup, but I occasionally dropped a thigh in the cup and had to fish it out or tore them up with tongs.
Currently I'm leaving them on their dedicated cooking rack and drizzling the sauce over the top. A lot less handling and less wasted sauce.
I'm still not fully satisfied and always looking for improvements.

Last edited:
We have a small stainless steel bowl with a flat bottom that we heat the sauce up in, then the chicken gets dunked directly in the bowl.

I've done the pigtail flipper, but that doesn't solve the issue of waste, it's actually worse because you need more sauce to dunk in to get fully submerged than w tongs. Yeah, it's pretty much just nature if the beast and I have to deal w it. The left over sauce can always go in the fridge for home cookin. Just curious what people liked for dunking in. I may just have to look at more options for a pan that's not too wide, but just deep enough.

Wait wait wait wait

It just dawned on me...competition cooks cook how much meat to make one little turn-in box? I have seen guys cook 2 briskets, 3 butts, 5 racks of ribs, and who knows how much chicken...and you're worried about wasting a pan of SAUCE?!?

LoL

Sorry...just gave me a little chuckle when I thought about it.

Sort of reminded me of friends of mine who go offshore fishing on $200k boats, with $15k in electronics, $10k in fishing rods, and spend $500+ on fuel & expenses every time they go out...but then want to buy the cheapest, most crappy bait they can find to save $0.50

Again, just got a chuckle out of it once I actually thought about it. I don't do comps. But if I did, I'd be one of those guys cooking a 6 pack of chicken thighs, 1 butt, 1 brisket, and a rack of ribs...and then be worried I could afford the gas to get home! That be me all day!!!

I try to be as economical as possible with my BBQ investments. I don't have a $50k trailer, $5k in smokers, and sponsors to cover my comp meats. I save all my trimmings, my family eats every piece of meat that doesn't get turned in for judging, and if I don't have to pour sauce in the trash can I won't. Every dollar counts for me as a 1 man team that only gets 1 to 2 call per comp! :wink:

Back