After a long cook will you eat it... Your Q

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Truthfully after a long cook i do not want to eat the food... Now if i am just cooking something small.. Steak... A couple spares over an open fire i will tear it up... I do some pretty big cooks at times... But i do not want to eat it.... I know i am not alone..... Now when frying bass... Bream... Catfish... I want either cause i am full... From eating it out of the platter... Why is this????

I find that after a large cook, or when I have been doing a lot of smoking, my taste buds don't seem as sensitive, a lot of the joy of eating smoked foods is lost. Also, I taste as I cook, and once I am done cooking all day, I generally am just not at all hungry.

Except, when I worked the fry station in a Japanese restaurant, we/I would end up eating all sorts of stuff. Even fried ribeye steaks.

I am with you.After I do a big cook,I do not eat.Like you say,burgers,steak,fine.Long smoke session,forget it!

I'm definitely the opposite. A long smoke builds anticipation for me and makes me want to rip apart what I just spent 5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12+ hours cooking. I love the cook, but I also love the reward.

I am with all of you. I do think you taste buds get kinda messed up, I usually am smelling like smoke, clothes smell. Also wanting to make sure any guests are getting everything they need. But, like said above I will tear that fish up!!

I know people who order pizza after contest just because they are tired of looking at it. Myself, I will pick and taste but I won't chow down after a long cook.

Right there with ya...I usually have snacked or tasted enough of the product from the cutting board and not at all interested in sitting down and have a plate of food. I thought it was a me thing...glad to know its not just me :grin:

Usually it's that way, but every so often comes a cook that turns out unexpectedly exceptional......then it's on !!!

Did long low tri-tip one time, to pull & me & the little dawg ate 3/4 of one just standing there.....some of them are too good not to chow..........:-D

I'm with you on this. As a matter of fact, my family/neighbors have figured it out and joke about whether it's a good idea to eat what the cook can't! I loose my appetite... Even Thanksgiving and Christmas... Not sure why but not much in the mood to eat anything.

Sounds like my uncle that got me into bbq. He cooks all day and then watches everyone eat. I'm getting there. I still eat but maybe just 1 plate. I used to tear into it but after 10 years and the cooks becoming more frequent I think I'm headed down the cook and watch road. It is nice to see everyone enjoying what you cook.

Funny you brought this up, I absolutely love to cook various foods - low and slow, fast seared steaks, etc. I always eat the steaks (even that, sometimes a little bit forced). But usually it always ends up that I am feeding others and only eating a small piece of whatever I made (often to make sure people don't say "stop working, eat eat eat!!"). Sure, I had been snacking and drinking a few brews throughout - but it seems my true satisfaction really lies in the social environment and also feeding my family and friends and seeing the enjoyment of the food and party. Strangely (maybe beer assisted haha), I will often get hungry as the meal/party has ended and make myself a plate at the end on my own, and will often enjoy some leftovers if there are any at lunch the next day. No question, for example I really have zero desire to eat ribs personally - but I absolutely love to make them, and will gladly do it for others. I think, at least in my opinion, this speaks to the big picture of what BBQ truly is. We all end up eating very well eventually, but maybe subconsciously it's not our priority. Happy cooking everyone!

If I am cooking a "large" cook, then there are several people there to eat what I/we (wife and I) have prepared. I enjoy sitting down and observing how/what the guests are eating. They are also usually asking all kinds of questions about our prepared food. I can not enjoy a good meal if I have to be answering questions while trying to eat. (I guess I can't walk and chew gum)

Most of the guests we have over are not good cooks, in that they do not season very well what they cook. So, they are not used to eating very tasty food. I know because I have eaten at most of their homes in the past. They produce a pretty plate, but very little taste in my opinion. By looking at me, you can tell that I like to eat! :oops:

Now when they all leave, and we have leftovers the next day, then stand back or you may get hurt in the melee. :boxing: :laugh:

Omar

Kinda what i thought but never really seen it discussed... People always say.. Are you not going to eat.... But in a couple days i can eat it no problem... I think like most also... You get so wrapped up into wanting everything to be spot on... That although it is fun and very enjoyable... At the end i am beat and wore down... Exhausted...... Just hearing the compliments... Satisfies me.... I think cooks have egos... And aint a thing wrong with that!!!!!!

Truthfully after a long cook i do not want to eat the food... Now if i am just cooking something small.. Steak... A couple spares over an open fire i will tear it up... I do some pretty big cooks at times... But i do not want to eat it.... I know i am not alone..... Now when frying bass... Bream... Catfish... I want either cause i am full... From eating it out of the platter... Why is this????

I pretty much never eat when I cook, never. Last week I needed to get some good pics of my pulled pork so I cooked a 19lb 2-butt pack, did my slaw and the 2 sauces I use and made a batch of mac salad, took the pics, then wasted a lot of food, never took a bite. I was told by the 2 people that did eat some that it was the best they have ever had from me or anywhere, lol. Pics came out ok.

pulledporka.jpg

pulledporkb.jpg

pulledporkc.jpg

I always eat what I cook. What I do now is fast from eating that day or the day before. If its something simple like ribs or chicken, I just dont eat that morning or at lunch. This way by the time I'm done smoking I'm ready to pig out. My wife like's to let the food sit for a few but I'm digging in as soon as everything comes off the smoker.

Back