Piomarine

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK so a little over a year ago I picked up a 60 gallon air compressor tank with the intention of making a new smoker after my Modified COS crapped out on me (rusted literally to pieces). This tank is 48"x20" and heavy as crap! This is not a new tank, its probably 40-50 years old and the walls are 3/16" thick. My original plan was to make a reverse flow on a small trailer, but after some heavy research and lack of $$$ I formally decided on a vertical UDS/WSM/VCS combo with direct heat system and a diffuser plate and water pan. The tank is currently oriented horizontally but after some thinking about it, I will be mounting the tank onto a steel wheel rim to mount vertical. I will beginning to acquire materials next month. This will be a multi-stage project. Stage one, will be to make a functional cooker, stage two will be to make additions (work tables, meet hooks, etc.), third stage will be to increase versatility/mobility (removable propane burner, wheels, etc.)

Here is an elevation drawing of my initial plans, a picture of the harrow disk I am looking at for my diffuser plate, and my biggest inspiration for this build. This project is based in large part by other builds/cookers posted on this and other BBQ sites.

All comments and suggestions welcome

Attachments

• smoker elevation.jpg
    smoker elevation.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
I like it. Except for the ball valve. You will need atleast a 2.5" intake if running a single. 3" even better. Now I see the drawing has 2 - still need 1"-1.5" valves, maybe 2" ........ my beloved BoomShuckaLucks pictured above runs a single 4" that extends into the firebox to back of fire basket.
Are planning on running splits or charcoal.? It'll run on charcoal but EAT Up charcoal. On a few I've had I'll start with a 15-18 lb bag of briquettes and get 3-4 hours then start feeding splits rest of the cook. Allows me time to prep meats or sides or other things before needing to feed a split every 45 minutes to an hour.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162551

Last edited:
Smitty, I have been pouring over every piece of the BoomShuckaLucka build for almost a year; it's a great build! I didn't make it clear in the drawings but right now I am planning to have 4 1.25" ball valves but the intake system is completely flexible.

Also, I just noticed that you are in Burleson, PM me! I am just up the road in Arlington and would love to come take a look at your smoker if you were willing.

Wow! What great timing on this thread....I am doing the same thing! I have a 90 air tank and have made it vertical, cut the door, and grinded all the rust out of it so far. I have been stuck trying to make a decision on how I want to proceed, but this gives me some ideas!

Some questions for Smitty:
1. What type of gasket materials did you use for the doors?
2. I have 3 - 1" air intakes and 1 - 1.5" ball valve. Do you think this will be enough?
3. Where did you get the latches?
4. I was planning on running this UDS style and hoping not to use so much charcoal but seeing your notes I am scared! Anything to do about this?
5. Do I need a diffuser plate or will it work without one? I have one big door right now and wanted to keep it that way and not run a diffuser.

Thanks for the inspiration guys...now I have to motivate myself to go spend some money on the metal I need!

DWFisk n Son built mine - I was lucky enough to buy it after Son decided it was too Big.
Gaskets didn't last - cook door leaks but don't affect temps. I have tried on several different verticals to make a cabinet style UDS and they were have all been Charcoal HOGS. A few other guys on here have also tried and found out they just run better and cheaper on firewood .

Smitty, I have been pouring over every piece of the BoomShuckaLucka build for almost a year; it's a great build! I didn't make it clear in the drawings but right now I am planning to have 4 1.25" ball valves but the intake system is completely flexible.

Also, I just noticed that you are in Burleson, PM me! I am just up the road in Arlington and would love to come take a look at your smoker if you were willing.

Ya come on over. If you come to N Tx Bash in a few weeks you can see her running. Or run her for me....... :mrgreen: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240397

I like the Big Single intake. Won't snuff a fire out but it Eats Up Charcoal too Fast to worry about that. I'd go 2 - 2" ball valves if you want valves. I went with a single 2.5" intake on TBone and TBone II........even they were Charcoal Hogs compared to a UDS - 6 hrs on full load vs 10-12 on a UDS.

Clay B Que - sounds like enough intake to me.......

Last edited:
i had mine built out of 1/4" and it runs just fine on charcoal. i am guessing the thicker metal is what helps mine be so efficient. it looks a lot like your drawing minus the tables.

20131027_121837.jpg

Last edited:
How much you want for that $500 Smoker .?

That sounds about right. I'll have to check my old emails tomorrow when I get back to work to see if I payed more or less for it. I'm not trying to rip anybody off. I'll listen to a decent offer. :heh:

You probally paid $750 and it's a Deal at $500 for someone.......:heh:

We made the cooker now known as BoomShuckaLucka, if you have any questions or we can prefab any parts feel free to ask. Gotta say using the disc harrow bade as a diffuser is genius, wish I had thought of that.

We made the cooker now known as BoomShuckaLucka, if you have any questions or we can prefab any parts feel free to ask. Gotta say using the disc harrow bade as a diffuser is genius, wish I had thought of that.

I agree. A big step above the holey pizza pan I use in mine. :heh:

PS: I'm coming out for the Bash in late April so it woul be pretty easy to get some pre-fab parts to you if you need anything.

Thank you sincerely! I may take you up on that cause I will need some steel rolled and I can't do it myself. do you charge labor or just reimbursement for materials? When I come up with a final materials list/budget I will happily let you know, and you may have just given me an excuse to go up to the bash. And maybe, if I'm feeling fun and fancy-free, I will bring the boat I built a couple years ago...you know...since it is on a lake lol

Attachments

• IMG953616.jpg
    IMG953616.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 255
OK so I put together a materials list while I was hardly working today at work and after doing a retail price check on the steel cost alone, for all 3 phases of this project, I literally felt my heart sinking and my wallet crying. If I can't find a way to curtail the cost of this project I will be dead in the water (and I mean that literally...If I spend $350 on steel my wife will kill me and dump my body in the river ). Any recommendations for finding cheaper steel are appreciated and might just be life saving. I'm going to go check a local scrap yard this weekend that sells by the pound and will report my findings.

Where you pricing steel.? You have a compressor tank so you need angle, flat stock and expanded metal, hinges and latches and a bit of pipe for exhaust/intake. $160-$200 oughta do it.
I buy at Momentum Metal on 1187 between Burleson n Rendon. Get 1/8" flat n angle and #9 flat expanded. You can use door hinges from Home Depot for $3 a piece, order latches online about $10 each.
Pm me if you want Help.

Last edited:
Back