• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE vs Weber Summit Charcoal Grill

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK - really want to spend too much money
I've read a lot about both but no one compares the two
Which is the better grill?
Which can cook in NY winter?
I think both can do a brisket or a pork butt without needed to be re-fueled - correct?

Any and all opinions welcomed

thanks - Mark

I don't know how many people you will find that have experience with both. I haven't seen a Weber in person so I really can't comment on it with authority, but my belief is that both will do fine in the winter, and both will run for long enough to do butts or briskets, and both are quality products. I know that the BGE will do what you want since I own Eggs.

The only thing I ever over thought kicked me to the curb. I don't do that crap no more.

No matter what I buy I suffer from buyer's remorse. I think the weber is overall cheaper when you add a table to each - but it's not such a difference.
I honestly have no idea which way to go.
The egg is cooler looking for sure
I do wonder if the egg can do a 20* turkey - I bet the Weber can

A Big Joe can cook one, so I'm sure an XL can as well.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHCn6Sl7vA"]2014 Kamado Joe Smoked Turkey - YouTube[/ame]

When I pull the trigger on a kamado style cooker it will be the Weber Summit and here's why.

~No ceramic to crack.
~Lighter to move around.
~If you dump the Weber over, yes your gonna be pi$$ed cause you dented it, but it will still cook as opposed to being in pieces.
~Comes with everything you need to get the most use out of it as opposed to buying separate parts.
~Stainless gasket mounted on the lid where it should be.
~Can do reverse sear without having to remove any hot parts from the grill.
~Better hinge system.
~No checking lid alignment with a dollar bill.
~Lid is lighter and much easier to raise and lower.
~Price is the same once you load out the BGE XL the same as the Weber.

Note, these are observations I made by going and looking at a BGE XL and the Weber Summit and doing a comparison. I have no experience cooking on either one.

I'm sure there are other reasons but this is just off the top of my head. As far as actual cooking goes, I'm certain they would both perform equally well with the exception of cooling back down if you overshoot the desired temp. I've read several places that to bring a ceramic cooker back down in a reasonable amount of time it's best to put a pan of water in it to serve as a heat sink where the Weber will come back down quicker.

Babyback was thinking about doing a side by side cook off between the Weber Summit (top of the line steel Kamado) and the Komodo Kamado (top of the line ceramic Kamado) and seeing which one wins. That would be cool!

Given your two options, sounds like a wash to me. Pick one and be happy with it.

If cost is a driver, you might consider the Kamado Joe Big Joe and hunt down a Costco Roadshow where you can get it for only $1200 (normally goes for around $1600). Great thing about Kamado Joe is it comes with a LOT of the stuff you get nickeled and dimed for with BGE -- heat deflectors, grates, cart, side shelves, tools, and they even throw in a cover for free at Costco. Still other accessories you can buy, but the $1200 Costco Roadshow price is an excellent deal for a 24" Kamado.

Since I do not have either but have researched both my unbiased opinion is the Weber, provided it is going be my only cooker.

forget about the big name kamados and get a char-grill akorn, you will not regret and for the money saved you can but a lot of toys to go along with it.

If there is any chance of this happening
dump_zps1rkj5h5e.jpg

I'd go Weber.

There is no reason you shouldn't be happy with either, or the Kamado Big Joe. All are basically the same size although you may want to compare the arch of the dome to grid height(s) for fitting taller items.

Your kettle isn't dual walled either, I'm sure the Weber will maintain temps the same as any other Kamado, but they haven't been through a winter yet.

When I pull the trigger on a kamado style cooker it will be the Weber Summit and here's why.

~No ceramic to crack.
~Lighter to move around.
~If you dump the Weber over, yes your gonna be pi$$ed cause you dented it, but it will still cook as opposed to being in pieces.
~Comes with everything you need to get the most use out of it as opposed to buying separate parts.
~Stainless gasket mounted on the lid where it should be.
~Can do reverse sear without having to remove any hot parts from the grill.
~Better hinge system.
~No checking lid alignment with a dollar bill.
~Lid is lighter and much easier to raise and lower.
~Price is the same once you load out the BGE XL the same as the Weber.

Note, these are observations I made by going and looking at a BGE XL and the Weber Summit and doing a comparison. I have no experience cooking on either one.

I'm sure there are other reasons but this is just off the top of my head. As far as actual cooking goes, I'm certain they would both perform equally well with the exception of cooling back down if you overshoot the desired temp. I've read several places that to bring a ceramic cooker back down in a reasonable amount of time it's best to put a pan of water in it to serve as a heat sink where the Weber will come back down quicker.

Babyback was thinking about doing a side by side cook off between the Weber Summit (top of the line steel Kamado) and the Komodo Kamado (top of the line ceramic Kamado) and seeing which one wins. That would be cool!

One major plus for the Weber over the egg is that the Weber is made in the USA. At least it is a major factor for me.

Some comparisons.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdhgQhEMBk"]Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Review / Comparison with Big Green Egg XL #Grillofalifetime - YouTube[/ame]

I have no experience with a kettle, so no opinion there. My Primo XL oval has far exceeded my high expectations. I can cook anything on it with no exceptions. The split firebox is ideal for reverse sear. With the deflector plates, it turns out perfect pizza or breads. Add cast iron of any kind and things like mac & cheese or lasagna are a breeze. It goes low and slow to white hot without problem. Needed help with a minor issue, and a rep calls me at home on Memorial Day to talk me through an adjustment. And, it's AMERICAN MADE in Georgia. No doubt it was expensive, but worth every penny. Good luck with your choice, not matter which.

Good call cheez! I forgot that!

do you need to use the gas starter of can you use a starter block?

No Sir, you could use lighter fluid if ya wanted. The gas starter is totally a convenience thang, at first I thought it was hokey to put that on that type of grill, but I think I've changed my mind on that.

I've never cooked on either, so there's that. If I were in the market for a high end charcoal cooker, I'd get the Weber, wouldn't even think about it. Basically, for all the reasons 4ever3 said. I've never dealt with BGE's customer service, but Weber's is second to none. I'm sure you'll be happy, with whatever you purchase.

Matt

Back